Late payment fee

Fresh Eyes
    Good morning,

My credit card payment was due on 3rd January - I paid it when I got home from work but noticed when doing so that it stated that any payment made after 6pm would take two days to clear. It was around 18:30 that I made the payment, and as expected the £25 payment was successfully taken from my bank account but did not immediately clear from the balance.

I logged in to check if it had cleared on the 4th which again as expected it hadn’t as two days had not passed. I was amazed to find that a late payment charge of £12 had been deducted though - and it was dated 3rd Jan! This was not on my balance when I made payment on 3rd January.

Assuming this would rectify after the 2 day period, I found this morning that my £25 payment had cleared but the £12 ‘late’ payment fee had not and was deducted from my balance!

My question is as follows:-

My £25 payment was clearly made on the due date of 3rd January. You were able to notify me that if you received it after 6pm it would take 2 days to clear which it did - but you had it because it had left my bank account. Yet when it comes to late payment charges you can back date these? It was not on my balance when I made payment!

Can someone please look into this matter and advise whether this £12 late payment charge will be reversed?

Many thanks

Jim
  • 1 Reply

Your Community Expert
    @JimHenderson Hey Jim, thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry you've been charged an unexpected fee.

It's correct that card payments can take 2 days to clear on the account and the late payment fee would backdate to the due date. If you send a private message, I'll look into this for you.

If you need to ask a question about a Tesco Bank product, you can make a post in Help & Support here

Also, feel free to Introduce Yourself!