I've had 2 cars. Which one is my NCD?

View Tag Cloud
    Apprentice
    Hi all,

I have been in the UK for 5 years now and still trying to understand how car insurance works here. I came here in 2019 and bought my first car and got insurance. Have since sold that one and bought a new one. I was under the impression that the NCD was connected to a person and not a specific policy or a specific vehicle.

I now moved to Tesco Insurance and when I completed the forms I entered my NCD as 4 years. From my previous insurer, my first car has 5 Years NCD (I think they carried it over from my previous country) and my second car only has 2 years NCD on it.

The second car is the one I now have insured with Tesco.
    So what is my actual NCD then? Is it the 2 years, 5 years or a combination of both?

They have now asked me to upload proof of it, so which one do I give?

Thanks
  • 4 Replies

• Verified Answer

Your Community Expert
    Verified Answer
    @QuentinB Hey there, thanks for getting in touch! No Claims Discount (NCD) can get a little confusing, especially if there are 2 or more cars involved.

Provided you weren't insuring the 2 vehicles at once, then your NCD should have transferred from your old car to the new one and continued to accumulate.

We can only accept however many years is on your most recent certificate, provided by your last insurance company.

How many years have they put on your certificate?

If you need to ask a question about a Tesco Bank product, you can make a post in Help & Support here

Also, feel free to Introduce Yourself!
    Apprentice
    Right, thank you.

I have now contacted them to ask if they can transfer the 5 years over to the Policy and show it as 7 years.

However, if they cannot or will not do that then I might have a problem. When I completed the forms for Tesco I entered 4 Years NCD. If I upload the document from my previous insurer it is going to show 2 years. So what happens then?

Thanks
    Your Community Expert
    @QuentinB You're very welcome.

If they can transfer it over and award you 7 years, then just upload the document they give you to prove this and we'll recalculate the premium for you.

If they can only award you with 2 years, then please call the Car Insurance team on 0345 246 2895 (Mon - Fri: 8am - 8pm, Sat - Sun: 9am - 2pm) and they will let you know if the premium will increase based on the lower NCD.
    Apprentice
    Perfect, thank you very much.