Need advice from Tesco

Hi, we booked a Villa in Croatia for Aug 2020 for my wife's 30th birthday, we already paid the deposit and the final payment is due in a month. Obviously the Covid19 situation is a concern but we still very much intend to travel if things improve. However, I was looking on the T&C for the management agents today just in case things don't improve and we are prohibited from travel as a direct impact of Covid19, and it clearly states on the T&C that in event of a 'force majeure' (natural disasters and epidemic) they WILL retain our payment.
    I spoke to a Tesco Bank representative today and I was told that requesting a chargeback successfully on my credit card will depend on the T&C. This is quite worrying for me because the whole point of paying on my credit card is to be protected from such incident.
    Now I am unsure and confused on the appropriate action to take and Tesco Bank are not giving me definitive advise.

Like I said, we have every intention of travelling (honouring our booking) if permitted to travel; however, my question is that as I paid the deposit and plan to pay all subsequent payments on my credit card, am I protected in any way or not?

Because that will determine if;

1. I should stop the final payment due next month (June). Because knowing that I may possibly lose all of the money eventually (including deposit) if not protected under credit card chargeback, this might be the smartest idea.
    (Please note: If I do this, then they definitely have the right to keep our deposit as they have not officially cancelled the booking themselves and I will be in breach of contract). or;

2. I should keep up payments (final payment due next month - June). That way if I know that we are definitely protected under credit card chargeback and unable to travel due to covid-19, we can fully claim for everything including deposit.

I really need solid advice from Tesco here, because I don't want to do the stupid thing here and lose 1000's either way due to Covid19 uncertainties.
    If Tesco Bank is categorically telling me that successful charge back to credit card is tantamount to the vendors T&C, then it's sounding like the vendor has all the protection in this unfortunate Covid19 crisis at the expense of us as Tesco Bank customers.
  • 1 Reply

Former Community Manager
    Hi , I can see that we replied to your other post with regards to this.