Cant buy fuel with a tesco card at tesco out if hours???

Im new to Tesco current account. Everything about the switch has been great... until... i finish work at 10pm, (shift worker) need fuel and nip to the local tesco, as its cheaper with the points element, to find my card is not accepted??, i then have to drive to a more expensive rip off 24hr garage that is staffed to buy fuel, panicking as i think my account has been stripped of funds, but go to cash machine and find i have my hundreds of pounds in tact:) but call customer services at the expensive garage to be told my card is all ok:) after hanging up from the very nice lady i get suspicious and paranoid and think the cars on the tesco garage forecourt prior to me being declined drove off quickly & maybe they have cloned the pump machines so call back customer services to put a block on my card "just in case"... this is when the nice young man tells me that my card wont work for this service as its offline!!!! A security measure apparently... Well apart from being annoyed at the first lady not telling me this and making me sound/feel like a paranoid idiot by calling back... why is this not part of the selling package of a tesco current account. I work shifts, i finish at all times and often fuel up at the 24hr pumps. Staffed garages are over priced, but the irony of having a tesco debit card, but cant buy tesco fuel is just ridiculous!!! Now im out of pocket, ive paid more for fuel, withdrew cash as i was scared it would decline my card so couldnt even pull it back in points payment, not to mention the time i wasted on the drive and calls i made... but if i lose the card or its stolen, anyone can use it as much as they want (providing they dont want fuel out of hours) until i realise its been stolen or lost as long as they dont exceed 30.00 with the contactless silly gimic!!! Which i didnt ask for or want. Tesco sort this out.
  • 3 Replies

Hi , I'm very sorry to hear about this. So that I can look into this for you, could you send us a private message to confirming your full name, DOB and postcode?

Also, we would be unable to remove the contactless feature from the card as we no longer produce cards which do not have this feature, I'm afraid. However, when you apply online or over the phone, we make you aware that the card will contactless. Sorry for any inconvenience.
    Hello 3065linda, I've found the following under the Tesco Bank Current Account Terms and Conditions which may be of use to you: Are there any restrictions on where I can use my card? Your card will always come with contactless functionality, but depending on your financial circumstances, you may be given a card which has restricted contactless functionality. You’ll know if you have this card, because the seventh digit of the long number across the middle of the card will be a 5. When you use this card to make a contactless transaction the seller will attempt to check you have enough money in your account. If this check can’t happen, the transaction could be declined. Most, but not all, retailers now process contactless transactions 'online' but when it comes to facilities, such as Pay at the Pump and car parking machines, then they are processed 'offline' hence the reason why your card was "declined". I can understand your frustration, especially as I've been in similar circumstances myself.
    This is the exact reason I closed my accounts (current & savings) and transferred to Nationwide, new current account with Pay@Pump facilities. I don't get Tesco Bank, They left me in a terrible/embarassing situation, I was low on fuel went to 24 Hour fueling station and I only had my Tesco debit card with me, I had to get a friend to meet me at the station, this was enough for me so I boycotted Tesco, cancelling all insurance policies, no longer buy fuel with them, cancelling my 3 x Tesco Mobile Accounts in April 2019 when they are finished. I'll nver use Tesco ever again! All because they couldn't trust me to pay for my fuel despite over £2k salary paid into that account. Your loss Tesco!