How long does a balance transfer from another credit card take?

I applied for a balance transfer from another credit card when applying for this card but it has still not been processed? I have had the card for nearly 2 weeks now and registered for onine banking. It says I have no available credit due to the balance transfer but this hasn't been processed? How much longer will it take?
  • 8 Replies

• Verified Answer

Employee
    Verified Answer
    Hi @Jasmin123 thanks for opening your account with us.

A balance transfer can only be processed after your card has been activated. Cards are usually received within 5 – 7 days and once activated, the balancer transfer will usually be completed within 1 – 3 working days. If you need to activate your card, this can be done via the Mobile App or via our automated system by calling 0345 072 9072. Thanks.
    Employee
    Hi

Once you receive and activate your card, any balance transfers that you requested when you applied will usually go through within one to three working days. If you didn't give us the details of any transfers during the application, you can make the transfer online or over the phone once you have the card. When did you receive your card?

If it's been a week or longer since you've received the card, and no transfer has gone through, let us know and we can look into this for you.
    Why does it take so long? It's 2017, i can send money from my account at one bank to my husband at another bank and it's instant! I can move money from Paypal to my bank..instantly. Yet doing a balance transfer to one of your cards takes "at least" 3 days and by the looks of it even longer. Add to that the faffing about trying to simply activate the card...I had to phone three times before it was actually done! and the whole process is almost as if geared up to put people off doing it in the first place. Also the account information page online is pretty much useless. It tells you nothing about the transfer being processed. You just see a screen telling you that you have £150 credit available on a card with a £2300 credit limit and that the balance is £0.00 Nothing else at all! You might want to take a look at how Barclaycard do it. Full information including balance transfer info and it doesn't take three days to do the transfer either. Not off to a flying start here. Still not received any confirmation at all that the transfer is going through...and you charge a handling fee for this?
    Employee
    Hi , it sounds like you have recently opened this card, and as such any balance transfer requested at the application stage will go through within 3 working days of the card being activated; I'm sorry you're unhappy with the time-scale provided, but we can't arrange for the transfer by faster payment like the other transactions you've mentioned.
    I hope you've since managed to activate the card, but just to let you know you do have the option of doing this on our mobile app, which may be more convenient that calling.

I'll be sure to log some feedback from your comments regarding the website, this is something we'll look at going forward.
    I have set up a balance transfer when signing up to this credit card, however, when i activated the card and did not see the balance transfer I though i needed to re do this through the app.My credit limit now looks as though it is holding the amount for both transfers which would be double the amount i need.How can i cancel one of them before it is too late?
    Employee
    Hi @biancawoulfe, thanks for getting in touch. Once your card is activated, a balance transfer should go through within three working days. To make sure that only one transfer leaves your account, call us as soon as you can on 0345 300 4278, available 24/7, and a member of our team can help.
    Apprentice
    The time it takes to process a balance transfer from another credit card may vary depending on the bank and your specific circumstances.