Credit card at self-checkout

Hi
    At my local tesco petrol station they told me I get more clubcard points using my clubcard credit card rather than my clubcard. I linked my credit card to my existing clubcard a/c. They said I don't have to pay for fuel with the card to get extra points - just use it as my clubcard and I could get rid of my other clubcard. Is this right? If so how do I use the credit card as my clubcard at self service checkouts as it has no barcode and won't scan when you are asked to 'scan your clubcard' at the self-service checkout???
  • 8 Replies

• Verified Answer

Employee
    Verified Answer
    Hi Robin

It's correct that you can use your Tesco Bank Credit Card as a Clubcard by inserting it into the terminal and cancelling the transaction before paying, however you will only receive additional Clubcard points when you actually pay with the credit card. If you don't actually pay for the fuel with your credit card, the amount of points you'll receive would be the same as using a standard Clubcard. It seems you have been given incorrect information at one of our petrol stations. Could you tell me the name of the petrol station and I'll make sure this gets fed back to them?

Hope this helps

Steven - Customer Care
    Supervisor
    Hello Robin_Unreliant, When you come to pay using the Self Service Checkout insert your Clubcard into the Card Reader. An audio confirmation will say "Clubcard Accepted." The till will then ask if you wish to pay with your Tesco Clubcard credit card. Tap No/Cancel and proceed with your preferred payment method.
    Hi

It was at the store in Cullompton, Devon. There were two people on duty who both assured me I could get the extra points without actually paying with the credit card. They seemed to be trying to be helpful but it would help if they gave out correct information. Didn't seem likely to me but I assumed they should know!

Thanks for clarifying it.
    Employee
    Hi Robin,

Thanks for getting back with the information. I'll arrange to pass this on to be communicated to the staff.

Regards,

Margaret - Customer Care
    I went to the Tesco petrol station in Shrewsbury and was told that if I had my club card swiped and then used my tesco credit card to pay, my points would be halved, this cannot be true surely?? Should I just use my tesco credit card to pay for groceries and petrol, I am confused!!
    Supervisor
    Based on my own experience whenever I've used Pay@Pump I've earned 1 point per 1 litre of fuel plus another 1 point per £4 spent. Last time I popped £10 in I earned 12 points (rather than 1 point per £2 of qualifying spend i.e. 5 points). It's totally up to you but personally you'd earn more rewards using your Tesco Bank Credit Card to pay within a Tesco store.
    Employee
    Hi @, you don't have to swipe your Clubcard when paying for Tesco Fuel if you're paying with your Credit Card. If you do swipe your Clubcard, it will automatically appoint the Clubcard value for points which is 1 point per £2 spent. Paying with your Credit Card will earn you 5 points per £4 spent as long as you don’t swipe your standard Clubcard.

You can find more information on how points are accumulated here, down the bottom of the page under 'How are your points calculated?'

I hope this information helps.
    So the person at the petrol station was ALMOST correct in that you get fewer points if you swipe your tesco card first. Will make a mental note for future visits. Thank you for the reply.