Direct Debit Payment

Fresh Eyes
    I decided to pay my credit card by direct debit every month in full. My payment date was the 4th of the month and I used to do this manually so the payment was made after my current account had been credited with my pay. I have found that the direct debit is taken 5 days before the end of the month and often when there is a weekend 7 days before the end of the month. Consequently payment is sometimes taken before I’m paid. I asked for the payment date to be moved a couple of days so that the DD would always be taken at the beginning of the month. I was told that this was not possible, so I opened a complaint for which I got a snotty reply back which didn’t seem to grasp the issue and declined my complaint . I am considering escalating to the financial ombudsman.

A question - if I was to close my account and then apply for a new card, would I be able to select a payment date that would resolve this issue by choosing a date that suits me ie - the 8th day of the month?

Basically can I select any date for my direct debit payment to be made.

Also I’m pretty sure that in the dim and distant past my payment date was the 6th day of the month and it had been changed.
  • 1 Reply

Employee
    Hey @802669672, thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry we were not able to give you the desired collection date. Unfortunately, there are restrictions on what your payment date/direct debit collection date can be changed to, as it depends on a number of factors. These include, we do not print statements between the 28th-2nd of the month, the new statement date has to be at least 16 days from the existing date and your account must cycle every 31 days which can restrict what dates are available.

If you were to apply for a new credit card and contacted us before your first statement is printed we can choose the payment date of your account. You can contact our Credit Card team on 0345 300 4278 Mon-Fri (8am-9pm) Sat-Sun (8am-4pm).

I hope this helps😀.