repeated direct debit payment reversals - what are the possible reasons

I don't want the exact reason why my direct debit reversals are happening to me because I'm not able to recollect where I set up the direct debit. It's just one of these things. I would like to know though, what are the common possible causes for direct debit reversals happening? And if it does happen to us should we not get a clear warning to investigate and fix it the first time it happens. £12 is a lot to pay for a mistake. What percentage of Tesco card users would be desperate enough to set that fault up deliberately to hold on to their debt a bit longer - to deserve us all being fined £12 - even on the first offence? And no I don't really want that percentage number. But I would like the £12 back for my first offence. I have now set up a direct debit that is likely to work. Now I just need to track down the one that isn't. With luck I should no longer suffer Tesco fines anymore - equivelent to three to four beers.
  • 2 Replies

I'm having a nightmare with my Bank , twice now I've checked my balance on Tesco credit card online . When I do this, I get the obligatory minimum payment thank you etc. Once paid ( or so I thought ) I would then check with my bank online for avaibale credit , within two days. I make a large seperate payment via debit card on Tesco online . My banks system is so slow online that twice now they have returned Direct debit payment but then allowed the large payment through instead of stating my available credit AFTER minimum payment Direct payment. This really bothers me becouse at the time of paying direct debit and getting conformation from Tesco bank my minimum payment should be removed or held by the bank and my available online bank credit should be updated . This has left me embarrassed and extremly angry in all the time I've had a tesco card I've never missed a payment . I'm being charged twice now for late payment and now appear I cannot control my finances . All this has happened ( two months )by setting up online banking with my bank, any help would be appreciated.thank you for your time regards. CK
    Employee
    Hi @scott101, sorry to hear that you've had issues with your direct debit. There can be a few reasons a mandate is reversed; these include the direct debit not being set up in time for both banks to agree on the payment, one bank having an active instruction while the other holds an inactive or no instruction and also if funds aren't cleared for use in the paying account. To discuss the reason in more depth and to see if the fee can be refunded, call our Credit Card team on 0345 300 4278, available 24/7, and they'll see what they can do to help.

As for yourself @CK, it might be worth calling the number mentioned above and our team can also look into the direct debit you have set up. We'd also advise speaking with your own bank, as these errors have resulted in fees that they should be addressing.