New Credit Card Fees For Virtual Cards

I just wanted to say how disappointed I am that Tesco now charges a 3.99% (rounded up to 4% in almost all situations) "cash advance" fee for the use of virtual cards. This is a pretty blatant misclassification of virtual card transactions (although I see that you do actually intend for this classification to apply in your list of charges). Ironically, the first time I was hit with this charge was for shopping in a Tesco!As much as I value Tesco's products, I don't consider them to be cash equivilants and neither should you. Unfortunately, this makes my Tesco credit card much less useful to me and I'm likely to replace it.
  • 2 Replies

Agreed, I have noticed exactly the same thing on my most recent statement. My Curve card was an excellent tool for convenience, as well as containing a much more intuitive tool for money management.

Having spoken with the customer service representative, he explained the reasons for the changes coming about but I feel what they are doing here with 'virtual' cards is incorrect. This kind of spending should not be treated as a cash transaction.

The icing on the cake? These 'cash transactions' accrue interest differently to other purchases.
    Employee
    HI , I'm sorry to see of your displeasure regarding this cash transaction fee. This fee is intentional given how we class these transactions. The purchase to Tesco itself is not a cash transaction, and nor do we see this as such, however, by making the transaction using a pre-paid/ or virtual card, we will class this as a cash transaction due to the way funds are transferred between us, the retailer, and the payment facilitator.