Can a hotel still charge my card if it has expired?

We booked a hotel via booking.com ( in Aug 2019) for travel on 18 July 2020 . The hotel will not let us cancel even thou we no longer wish to travel due COVID-19. They have advised the non refundable policy still applies. However the Tesco credit card I used to guarantee the booking is no longer valid. Will the hotel still be able to charge me? I just wondered where I stand in terms of my account? Thanks for your help.
  • 5 Replies

Community superstar
    Hi
    I'm sorry to hear about this and I will certainly help you to get it resolved.
    Do you still have the terms & conditions to your booking? This is the best place to start regarding whether the hotel can still charge you for your Aug 2019/July 2020 booking.
    To find out if your Tesco account will be charged please send Tesco Bank a 'Private Message' for someone to check this out and give you an appropriate response to your enquiry.
    Click on this link and it will take you to a page, 'About Tesco Bank'.
    In the top right of the page click 'Send a Message'.
    A new page will open up, 'Create New Message'.
    Complete it and send your message securely.
    Please include your full name, date of birth and postcode.
    I've also enclosed where you can find information about the steps to take here for disputed transactions: https://community.tescobank.com/t5/D...edtransactions
    Hope this helps, warm wishes
    Above and beyond
    Hi The expiration date on your card refers to the expiry of the card, not your account ! so potentially you can still be charged. Recurring charges are normally made to your replacement card, i'm sorry to say. But for certainty please proceed as follows :- Please send Tesco Bank a 'Private Message' for someone to check your specific case, and advise if you will still be charged.
    Click on this link @Tesco-Bank and it will take you to a page, 'About Tesco Bank'.
    In the top right of the page click 'Send a Message'.
    A new page will open up, 'Create New Message'.
    Complete it and send your message securely.
    Please include your full name, date of birth and postcode.
    Hope this helps, Best Wishes,
    Employee
    Hi , thanks for that query regarding your Credit Card account. Unfortunately yes, a merchant can still collect a payment from a Credit Card that has expired. Customers authorise access to their Credit Card accounts, not to a specific number or expiry date attached to that account. It means the merchant can take another payment regardless of whether the card has expired or even been replaced - Kevin
    Above and beyond
    Thanks That saves the need for to send a private message to clarify.Much appreciated,
    Above and beyond
    Hi There's no need to message Tesco Bank, i have checked it out for you ! Sadly it's not good news ! A merchant can still collect a payment from a Credit Card that has expired. Customers authorise access to their Credit Card account, and NOT to a specific number or expiry date attached to that account. It means the merchant can legitimately take another payment regardless of whether the card has expired or even been replaced. Sorry about that,