Section 75 non refundable?

Hello I booked an airbnb after March this year in Spain , when it was safe to travel there. Then the government, restricted travel due to corona rises, and advised against travel, a week before my trip. So, reluctantly, I cancelled it. I only received half my money back from airbnb as the rest was nonrefundable. I assumed travel insurance would cover it, but no. So, I assumed my payment was protected by S75 or chargeback via my Tesco cc. But that’s also been rejected. Is that really the case? Have I lost my money? I thought cc payments would protect us for such circumstances. Thanks In advance for your help and advice.
  • 14 Replies

Community superstar
    Hi
    I'm really sorry to hear this.
    If the other half of the money was unrefundable then I'm sorry to say that would've been on the booking conditions. You could check your booking conditions to see if this is correct.
    Alternatively you could dispute the transaction and you can find information about the steps to take here: https://community.tescobank.com/t5/D...edtransactions
    Or you could send Tesco Bank a private message so they can check this out for you and an appropriate response can be provided.

Click on this link and it will take you to a page, 'About Tesco Bank'.

Towards the top right of the page in the blue panel click onto 'Send a Message'.

A new page will open up, 'Create New Message'.

Complete it and send your message securely and privately.

Please include your full name, date of birth and postcode.

You will get a reply to your private message.

Hope this helps!!

Warm wishes, Caz

Above and beyond
    Hi
    I had a similar thing happen to me recently. I booked with Trip advisor, and was due to fly out on 18 September.
    Unfortunately our flights were cancelled by Ryanair, and I lost half of my money.
    It turned out that the accommodation owner could see what was happening, and instructed Trip advisor to refuse refunds for cancellations. That’s because his country were still welcoming visitors, and some flights were still going.
    My travel insurance did not cover me, and neither did my credit card.
    As far as they were concerned it was only advisory notice not to travel, and that’s not the same as being told NOT to travel.
    After posting a negative review on Trip advisor the owner relented, and effectively bribed me to take it down !
    Suffice to say I won’t be booking abroad again any time soon.
    Best wishes, Chris,
    Your Community Expert
    Hi , I'm really sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, we would only be able to dispute this transaction if it was cancelled by the merchant or the merchant has broken their terms and conditions, I’m afraid. I appreciate the government advice was for no non-essential travel however this doesn’t cover bookings you have already made, this is because you are essentially in contract with the company. You could perhaps try going back to Air B&B, to explain and see if they are willing to offer any further help. I’m sorry we are unable to assist you further with this.
    Dear Caz. Thanks. Just to understand: if this was in the booking conditions ie that It was not refundable I cannot do anything. Right? Or is your link and further questions to check whether that was actually the case?
    Thanks. I think if *they* cancelled it is indeed easier. It’s when you’ve cancelled because you are told it is dangerous to go and you are not insured if you fall down and break a leg etc. that is really tough to take. Glad you got your money back. And agree re Ryanair.
    Community superstar
    Hi Aye, if it was no refundable in the T & C's then there's nothing you can do.Also if THEY cancelled it the onus is on them.I fully appreciate its really tough!!I feel your only option is to go back to airbnb and see if they'll help you.Warm wishes, Caz
    Above and beyond
    Hi
    If it’s in the t&c’s that bookings are non refundable then there’s no obligation on Air-BnB
    However that does not stop you from asking them if they will at least offer a discount credit against a future booking.
    If that fails then post a filthy review to make others aware of your predicament ,
    That may cause them to have a change of heart, as happened in my case !
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    Best wishes, Chris,
    I guess I still don’t understand why we are not protected by Tesco CC since any purchase should be. If I buy a dodgy item I am. Anyway. Thanks. Have contacted villa owner and airbnb but I am not hopeful
    Community superstar
    Hi I really do understand your grievance.A few months ago I had a flight booked and although I could not get into the country I was travelling to I lost my money as the flight went ahead!!Hopefully airbnb will come through for you. Take care and stay safe, Caz