Section 75 claim for hotel stay

HelloMy husband was due to go to an army reunion in York in October. The group would have been about 20 in number. The government has now bought in new legislation which makes meeting up in groups of more than six illegal outside or inside. The reservation for the hotel has now been cancelled but the hotel has refused to refund any of the money. I think the booking policy did state that it would be a non-refundable fee but as this cancellation is due to COVID related reasons it would be good to get some of the money back. It seems a bit unfair that my husband should lose out because he wants to obey the rules. Could a section 75 claim be made in this case?
  • 6 Replies

• Verified Answer

Above and beyond
    Verified Answer
    Hi
    This is a difficult one, as the hotel has not cancelled your reservation. I’m surprised that the reunion was called off, as long as the venue is COVID secure, and tables of no more than six are allowed then it is still within the rules.
    I’m a member of the Irish Guards Association myself, and know how important it is to maintain contact.
    Your best bet is to send Tesco Bank a 'Private Message' to request a ruling on this, though I fear the response will not be favourable.
    Please Click on this link and it will take you to a page, 'About Tesco Bank'.
    Towards the top right of the page in the blue panel click onto 'Send a Message'.
    A new page will open up, 'Create New Message'.
    Complete it and send your message securely.
    Please include your full name, date of birth and postcode
    You will receive a reply to your private message.
    Regards, Chris,
    Community superstar
    Hi
    I'm sorry to hear about this.
    You can find information about the steps to take here: https://community.tescobank.com/t5/D...edtransactions
    Alternatively tou can send Tesco Bank a 'Private Message' so this can be checked out and an appropriate response can be provided.

Click on this link and it will take you to a page, 'About Tesco Bank'.

Towards the top right of the page in the blue panel click onto 'Send a Message'.

A new page will open up, 'Create New Message'.

Complete it and send your message securely.

Please include your full name, date of birth and postcode.

Hope this helps!!!

Warm wishes, Caz

Good evening, Sorry to hear about the cancellation of your husband's planned trip to York as an ongoing result of the Coronavirus pandemic and the new rules brought in as a result from the 14th. I've found this on the Money Saving Expert website (https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/re...our-purchases/) "Last year I purchased concert tickets for myself and a friend. The concert was postponed but while the tickets were still valid, I'd also spent £230 on train tickets and hotel accommodation.

I contacted the rail companies and the hotel to ask for a refund, only to be told they were non-refundable. So I contacted my credit card company quoting the Consumer Credit Act and asked for a refund.

This morning, to my surprise, I received a letter from my credit card company offering me a full refund of £230."
    So, depending on how much you've spent on the accommodation costs you *may* be successful in getting your money refunded.
    Hello Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I've not been able to make a claim because the booking was non-refundable. But at least I know where to start if the situation comes up again. Thanks for your help
    Your Community Expert
    Hi , Sorry to hear this, you mentioned "COVID related reasons", have you cancelled this trip or did the Hotel cancel? - Amanda
    Community superstar
    Hi I'm sorry to hear your booking was non-refundable, however I see it as a consequence of Covid 19 that your booking is cancelled.I see Amanda from Tesco-Bank has asked a question on here this afternoon.Please send a private message so they can have alook at this for you and respond appropriately.Have a lovely weekend Caz