Hurrah for Tesco Bank (finally)!

Eagle eye
    Those that have been following my posts on this forum will know that I made my Section 75 claim more than three months ago. Since then I have constantly harangued Tesco with many telephone calls and emails and NEVER received anything but false assurances and zero information.Consequently, I made official complaints to Tesco (for which they paid me £30 the first time and £75 the second). But still I waited in vain for the excess of £3000 that they were legally obliged to refund me.Finally, three weeks ago, I had a ‘secure’ email stating that the funds would be in my account within seven days.
    You guessed it, three weeks later - STILL NOTHING!So intending it to be the very last time that I contacted them, I rang Tesco Bank to obtain as much information as possible before taking it further through other official channels.I spoke with an advisor called Simon. He was one of the best Tesco representatives so far. He remained emphatic to my frustration and anger, polite and determined to assist. He said that he would speak to the Disputes Team (good luck with that, I had heard that before, they generally DO NOT take internal calls during COVID). Simon also said that he would ‘escalate it’ to his Manager (yeah, yeah, yeah, I have heard that before as well).He promised to call me back the same day to let me know the results ‘either way’.
    Because he had such a genuine manner about him I had no doubt that he would call me back, but I did not expect that anything would change. He called me back within 2 hours and advised that he had chased down the relevant people and that my refund would be in my account the same day, although it would not show until after midnight due to the banking update process.He also asked if I could put the positive news on here (seeing as I have had nothing good to say in the last few months).Today I can confirm that Tesco Bank has finally paid up (hurrah, fireworks, champagne all round)!Simon was excellent in dealing with this for me and could not have been better.However, the cynic in me cannot help thinking that he was assisted by the fact that I have been a thorn in Tesco’s side with my many postings and my complaints both to them and the CMA, all of which I ensured that Tesco customer service and disputes were fully aware of. So, this will be my final posting on here, as regular readers will be aware, my partner and I have absolutely no intention of using Tesco products in the future, including their supermarkets, consequently, I will have no reason to return to this forum.Good luck to all with your claims, I recommend that you read my other posts to learn what additional action you can take to expedite them.
  • 13 Replies

Community superstar
    Hi I'm so pleased that you have received your refund in your account When does the champagne arrive? Perhaps you could 'Accept as Solution' for me as you've got positive news?Take care and stay safe, Caz
    Above and beyond
    Fantastic news !!I'm absolutely delighted, it's been a long road, but you never gave up. It's brilliant to see some positive news, i did promise that you would get there eventually.Thanks for your dogged determination and perseverance, Best wishes,
    Supervisor
    • So happy that you’ve received your money back. Some of us are still waiting - and it’s not Tesco for me. Hopefully I’ll get my money back due from March!
    • can understand your frustration however I do think lots of companies and their people are out of their depth with all this that is going on in the world.
    Your Community Expert
    Hi , if you would like to to chase an update on this for you, please send a private message to .
    Your Community Expert
    Sorry ! my mistake I thought your dispute was with Tesco Bank.
    Community Manager
    Hi - thanks for letting the Community know the outcome. This is the place for people to share experiences, good and bad. Although I am sorry yours has been a difficult one, this has been taken seriously and all your comments passed to the relevant areas. Best wishes, Sarah
    Eagle eye
    Thanks Sarah I do not subscribe to normal social media (such as Twitter, Facebook etc) but I do contribute to Tripadvisor as I travel a lot and Trustpilot. I only contribute to other forums such as this when there is an ongoing problem with the specific retailer. Because I have been a mystery shopper for more than 30 years working for all types of establishments including companies like Haven, NatWest Bank, Supermarket Chains, Restaurants, Hotels, Car Dealerships, Pub Chains and many, many others, I have a very good understanding of what should be expected as the ‘norm’ from customer service and have learnt to comment objectively and fairly, thus the reason for my last (positive) post to give this issue some balance before closing the matter. Despite finally receiving my refund, if this was an official ‘Mystery Shop’ scenario, it goes without saying that my report would reflect how abysmal the process has been!
    Above and beyond
    Hi I love the idea of being a mystery shopper, i'm not sure if i'd be any good at it though !All genuine feedback is precious, whether it's good or bad it really makes a difference.But despite your poor experience, i'm happy that you have your refund.Bravo you, Chris,
    Supervisor
    Thanks Amanda but I’m not at loggerheads with Tesco!