Bringing neighbours together

Since the start of lockdown My neighbours and I have started up a WhatsApp group to stay in touch and help those who are isolating alone feel part of a community. We started by sending the updates and funny videos but the app has come into it's own with our Tesco shop. We share the times of our slots and offer to add items for neighbours that can't get out or who are looking for just a few items or are unable to secure a delivery slot. We leave the delivered items on the neighbours doorstep (sometimes along with a treat, as several of us love to bake) and the money appears through our door a few minutes later.I can honestly say that I have spoken more to my neighbours in the past 8 weeks than I have in the 20 years I have lived here. Just one indirect way that Tesco is bringing communities together at this difficult time.A huge thank you to all Tesco staff who are still at work picking, packing and delivering our groceries.
  • 3 Replies

Community superstar
    Hi That sounds really sweet and lovely. How inventive of you and your neighbours helping each other during a difficult time for many.Another great way Tesco are giving a helping hand and a big 'Thank You'.Thanks for sharing, stay safe and keep up the brilliant work you're doing, I wish my neighbours were so considerate. I volunteered to do shopping for my neighbour (a couple) who returned from abroad and decided to self isolate for 14 days. Instead they asked their son who lives 50 miles away to do their shopping for them. This he did on 3 occasions so that 300 miles!!!!
    Above and beyond
    Hi Daisyfield, thank you for sharing, it's great to hear of such a valuable and caring initiative which makes such a difference to people's lives in your neighbourhood. This dreadful virus has at least inspired us all to rebuild our lost community spirit, and bringing us together again. Long may that continue, and thank you for getting involved. Best Wishes for everything that you are doing, it is very much appreciated.
    Hi daisy what a lovely idea. My friends and I are part of a religious community and we have done a similar thing. We set up an encouragement group and we have about 120 members on it. Each day there are more than 20 encouraging messages and offers of support in many different ways.Our ages range from about 20 up to 100. We make sure everyone is ok and if anyone just needs a chat they can do so either personally or on the group chat. We've found it has brought us all even closer than before.After reading your post, It has made me contact my neighbours in my street to see if we can set somehting up together, as it seems this lockdown will be with us in some form for the foreseeable future.