Has anyone else found obtaining rice milk and other dairy and gluten free items difficult

I've had real difficulty getting rice milk for my three children who have a dairy allergies. They will drink soya milk thankfully because that's all I've been able to find, but much prefer rice milk. Wondering why there is such as shortage. Have also had difficulty obtaining g/f pasta. Just hope people without allergies are not buying it if they can't find ordinary milk and pasta. I didn't stockpile and now wish I had because its such a great big problem.
  • 9 Replies

Above and beyond
    Hi queenofironing, i'm so sorry to hear this, it must be awful not being able to get what you need for the children. There's certainly no shortage of ordinary milk or pasta on the shelves, so it could be that the supermarkets are playing catch up on rice milk. Likewise with other dairy and gluten free foodstuff. We're quite lucky down here in Sidmouth that there is a local wholefood shop that is always well stocked, also Holland & Barrett stores are now open and they have some rice milk in store but not online. Hope this helps, best wishes.
    Good afternoon. I've seen online that there could be a shortage of rice in the coming weeks due to the lockdown efforts in India and Pakistan where a lot of the worlds' rice is grown. I hope you are able to get some for your three children because, as you rightly say, there are people who might've purchased it when they genuinely don't need it.
    I've struggled to find even the basics of gluten free food in my local tesco. Unfortunately when non gluten free pasta, flour etc has been wiped off the shelves, people have started taking the gluten free products, even though they don't need gluten free.I have now taken to making almost everything from scratch. I order flour on prescription and although I'm only allowed 2 packs per month..its something. Maybe Tesco could start getting more gf foods and bigger supplies of some items, so we don't go without, although I'm not exactly sure how that would work.
    Your Community Expert
    Hi . I'm glad you are chosen as a winner as it's much deserved. I hope this put a smile on your face during these difficult times.
    , Has the situation improved in your local Tesco at all in terms of availability? I hope so. I understand your frustration because your needs are greater than others who are purchasing the nearest alternative-I don't know if you were aware but the reason for the lack of flour being on the shelves isn't because there's a shortage-it's down to the fact manufacturers haven't got the necessary equipment to make bags small enough quickly enough to meet demand. Tesco (and other retailers) will be working hard with their suppliers to get products back on the shelves as quickly as possible; because of the current pandemic some suppliers have eased back on production of some lines to focus more on the ones that are quicker to make plus I'd imagine the lockdown measures have impacted heavily on the number of employees present on site to help with production.
    I have found that theres a small amount of gf pasta available a bit more, however the flour seems non existent.
    As with everything, there is always a way around it, it's just finding a recipe.

Maybe Tesco magazine might pop a few more gf recipes in it.?
    On the look out
    Yes, Tesco's re-ordering of depleted stock is appallingly bad. I regularly buy Tesco own brand unsweetened soya drink but often my local Branch is out of stock. Annoying, as it seems not to be a problem in Sainsbury's or Morrisons.
    Above and beyond
    Hi pegerton ! i have not tried Tesco own brand soya milk, would you recommend ? assuming it is available. I normally buy Alpro soya milk, almond and personal fave coconut flavour, tastes great on breakfast cereal.
    Sorry to hear your local Tesco store has had availability issues with unsweetened Soya drink-admittedly it was in short supply when demand increased but the store I work in seems to be okay with that now.