COVID-19 Lockdown - Mental Health Impact

Above and beyond
    I wanted to raise the subject of mental health, and the negative impact caused by the current lockdown. This follows this morning's tragic news of a family "**bleep** - suicide" in East London. The family were cooped up in a ground floor flat behind a shop. with no outdoor space. They had two young children aged one and three years old, and the wife was terrified of contracting COVID-19 after losing her brother to the disease. During the lockdown the family started arguing, and the husband suddenly turned on his two children, murdering them both with a knife, before turning the weapon on himself, while his wife ran screaming into the street begging for help. I can't begin to imagine the sheer horror and anguish of this poor woman. Surely there can't be a more compelling case than this, for government to look hard at the negative impact of the lockdown. Let's hope and pray that it all comes to an end soon.
  • 4 Replies

Community superstar
    I read about this family in the news with the father & the 2 young children, how tragic!!The woman must be absolutely beside herself to the point I cannot possibly imagine. I hope she gets the help & care she needs.
    Above and beyond
    Hi 25H, it's absolutely horrific to hear when people cannot cope. their damaged minds lead them to do such dreadful things. Stay safe !
    Window shopper
    is it that on average a male would be out working, so not used to being indoors with young children, whereas women tend to be with the children 24/7 and have a better coping mechanisim? What do others think?
    Above and beyond
    Hi kareena2b, in this particular instance the husband was in fact getting out part time to work at the local magistrates court. The wife was constantly shouting and screaming at her husband whenever he was at home. She was terrified of contracting the virus, and did not want her husband to got out at all, and then he snapped ! The mind is a fragile thing, and i don't believe it matters if you are male or female. We may never know what the true cost of the lock-down will amount to, on people's mental health.