Petrol pump attendants

Would it be worth bringing back petrol pump attendants to reduce the opportunities for drivers to pass on the virus when handling the pumps?
  • 9 Replies

Just looking
    Logistically I cannot imagine it be possible or cost effective but certainly worth a thought if the evidence transpires that this is causing spreading. Might be a better option to make sure disposable gloves and sanitiser are in plentiful supply at each pump and contactless payments are changed to £100 to reduce the need to make contact with surfaces unnecessarily,
    Community superstar
    At Tesco petrol pumps it gives you the option to pay at the pump or inside the shop, so no need for a petrol pump assistant or to go into the petrol station to pay meaning no contact with staff or surfaces.
    I usually pay at the kiosk but am thinking of changing to using my credit card at the pump,never actually used it,can you use contactless at the pump or do you have to use the keypad,if so there will certainly be some type of surface contact or have i got it wrong & being picky.
    Above and beyond
    Hi !A petrol pump attendant is probably not the way to go, there are too many people wanting other bits and bobs from inside the shop to go with their petrol. Whereever possible i would suggest that you pay for fuel at the kiosk, wear gloves if you can, and/or spray everything in site with sanitizer ! Best Wishes and take care,
    On the look out
    I nearly always pay at the pump and only use the attendants when I have a Tesco money off voucher to redeem when the store are running one of their promotions when you get money off fuel if you spend more than £60 in store. I also keep a pair of gloves in my car and use them when filling up as it avoids getting diesel on my hands. But are the pumps being regularly sanitised?
    I'm old enough to remember attendants at the pumps,filled up,took the money,brought back any change,cleaned the screen,checked the oil if you asked them,those were the days,didn't have to get out of the car. I can't see them coming back even in the situation we are in now.Good point about the pumps being sanitised?.I wonder if they are.
    Above and beyond
    Hi ! The pumps are never sanitized regularly, but i always carry my own sanitizer and spray the pumps before use, then wipe over with a paper towel. You can also wear disposable gloves, then pop them in the litter bin provided after use.That's about the safest advice that i can give to you on this subject.If you feel satisfied with my advice :-Please "accept as a solution", to clear it down, and confirm that it's now solved. Kind Regards,
    Community superstar
    Hi I too remember those days in the UK.Recently when I was in Cyprus you approach the pump, someone comes to serve you, tell them how much you want going in, the programme the pump insert the nozzle, start it running and while your car is being filled they clean your windscreen. You pay them, they give you change and all this is done before the pumps finished. They thank you and you're on your way without getting out of the car or touching the pump!!!!Warm wishes 25H
    I work for Tesco and whilst we don't have a PFS at the store I work for I would imagine my colleagues do clean the handles as best they can in between customers. They will usually have a plentiful supply of towels and disposable gloves to minimise contact and if you wish to pay at the pump you can do so provided your debit/credit card can process offline authorisation transactions. Of course for those that need assistance if you gain the attention of a PFS colleague they will be more than happy to dispense fuel for you.