Visit from TV Licencing Police

On Saturday 14th March I had a visit from the TV Licencing police. They are uniformed staff employed by TV Licencing contractors and they function as police. They have no power to enforce entry and if you order them off your property they must leave or you can physically remove them using reasonable force. TV Licencing enforcement contravenes a basic principle of English law, that an individual should not have to prove he has not committed an offence, or be harassed in any way when exercising this right not to be bothered or investigated for an offence for which the investigator has no evidence. In law, an address that does not show having a TV licence cannot be considered as evidence of an offence. I have had no licence for the last 15 years, after my oldest child left home. TV is insufferable propaganda and much of it, for example Channel 4, the BBC and ITV, are extreme far left progressivist propaganda disseminators. The BBC has been cited frequently as actively seeking to persuade the public to REMAIN in the EU. So I have been irritated by the persistent letters from the TV Licencing Authority threatening to visit me. Its extremely intimidating. I usually get about 2 visits a year and I have always summarily ordered them off my property without up til now having to resort to physical ejection. However, the person refused to go on Saturday and I had to apply a little reasonable force, namely a thorough good shove after repeatedly ordering him to get off my property. As everyone should know by now, it is extremely urgent that containment of COVID-19 should be applied and a government contractor should not be allowed to act as a possible infector of hundreds of people in the interests of trying to force us to pay for their political propaganda. Apparently the government is to announce emergency powers on Wednesday 18th. I wonder, do people think the TV Licencing should stop calling at doors throughout the UK? I'm 69 and there are not enough oxygen devices for people like me who are at higher risk and who might be forced to self-isolate as the rate of infection spikes and hospitals become unable to cope. There is no oxygen for me, but they can afford to send politcal propaganda enforcers to my door.
  • 9 Replies

Above and beyond
    Hi there, i must agree with you about the political propaganda churned out by the BBC/C4. It must be very distressing for you to suffer this type of harassment, i'm sure that you have done your research on this. I found the attached tips from the licensing authority on how to stop TV/BBC licence harassment, hope it helps.http://www.bbctvlicence.com/Tips%20f...harassment.htm
    Supervisor
    If you have a tv you should pay the licence like everyone else. We dont all agree with it but its like lots of bills, they are obliged to be paid. I appreciate your age and your reluctance of visits from the tv licence police but dont you only have another year to go before you get it free?
    Thanks for the information link; I have already seen this and am fully conversant with the law on this issue. But, its real nice to get a supportive response.
    Hello everyone, Just to advise I emailed my MP asking him to ensure the BBC is ordered not to visit or harass the public during the current pandemic emergency and for the duration of the Lock Down. Guess what? He has not replied! Should I try writing my local paper, asking my MP to respond publicly? Or is there something else you can think of which might be more effective?
    Community superstar
    Hi,As TV Licencing police are NOT essential workers they should NOT be out visiting or harrassing the public and if you should come across one then ask them what the hell they're doing visiting the public, then tell your MP, local paper etc.
    Window shopper
    if there is a next time-do not open the door. By opening the door, you are causing yourself undue stress. Also I am sure you are aware, but for others, there is a proposal that a fee would be added to a persons Broadband subscription. They will get us somehow. Maybe if you have time and internet, you could set up an online petition
    The idea of an online petition is a good one, I'm sure it would get lots of support. Good luck and I hope you don't get any more visits.
    Above and beyond
    You're very welcome, best wishes.