COVID-19 (coronavirus) information - Online Banking and Mobile App

Above and beyond
    This dreadful COVID-19 virus will bankrupt a few countries before it's done, let's all hope and pray that it can be overcome sooner rather than later, and that it does not return with a vengeance next winter ! The queues trying to get into into the supermarket car parks this morning were truly horrendous, everyone is over reacting and panic buying anything and everything. If people are not careful they will end up bankrupting themselves ! My neighbour is a taxi driver and has just had the quietest weekend ever, if it stays like this for much longer he will not have enough money to cover his rent. It truly is a nightmare, good luck everyone, we are all going to need it !
    Yes CSKBrambles, we went to our local Tescos this morning arriving at about 6.45, we planned this hoping that we could 'social distance' ourselves from other shoppers, but it seems everyone had the same idea! There were lots of empty shelves, even though the shop had closed its doors overnight (it's usually 24 hours opening) and re-opened at 6 am. We were not panic buying, just picking up some necessary groceries and paracetamol (for my chronic pain). There were lots of people, piling their trolleys with tins of baked beans, spaghetti and the like.It truly is a worrying time, thinking not so much of whether we will be infected with the virus (although I do hope that we manage to avoid it), but of the long term implications to countries and businesses, what will this world of ours look like when this situation is over?Stay safe everyone.
    Above and beyond
    Hi WelshCatLady, it is a very sad state of affairs that some people feel the need to resort to shopping irresponsibly, and cause unnecessary inconvenience and shortages for others. I arrived at Waitrose at 8am this morning to pick up my my daily free coffee and a newspaper. The car park was already packed, and cars queueing to get in. It was absolute pandemonium in store, worse than Christmas time, and pretty much everyone were buying much more than they needed. Supermarkets need to restore some control for shoppers, and impose a limit on the number of items per customer. I live in a town of 13,000 people in the south west, and as yet nobody down here has so far tested positive for the virus. Our local Tesco Express are offering to deliver free shopping orders to all residents who are either self isolating, or advised to say at home. I am hopeful that this initiative and others like it, will help stem the tide ! All the best.
    Community superstar
    Just yesterday I too went shopping early to my local supermarket for a few essential fresh groceries.Initially finding a parking space in the car park was a problem, then trouble getting a trolley. Approaching self service check out I waited with others in a queue to pay for my dozen items!!But like many I saw trollies piled high with an array of items.I feel this is just the tip of the iceberg regarding the Coronavirus and disruption in our country. Stay safe and carry on.
    I have also read comments on social media complaining about Iceland having a couple of hours tomorrow morning set aside for the elderly to do their shopping, giving them the chance to buy their groceries before the hoarders get at them. I am retired but will not be taking advantage of this, but I applaud Iceland for taking this step. I was absolutely appalled at the comments I saw, don't these youngsters have grandparents?
    Above and beyond
    I was not aware of the Iceland initiative and in essence it sounds like a good thing to do, but i am concerned about crowding of those at the highest risk. Let's hope that Iceland take sufficient precautions for our senior citizens not to get too close to each other !
    Above and beyond
    Hi WelshCatLady, just received the email below from The Original Factory Shop, introducing a "Golden Hour" for senior citizens to stock up on essentials first ! I'm sure that there will be a lot more like this. An important message from Emma Fox, our CEOView online Store Finder » Dear Christopher,

During these worrying and uncertain times, I wanted to personally reassure you of the actions we are taking to help better serve you and our local communities.

For the last 50 years, our shops have sat in the heart of local communities and we are working really hard to continue to look after you. We are continually monitoring the situation, staying close to the advice from the Government and ensuring we are doing the right things, while looking for additional ways that we can help.

From Wednesday 18th March, we will be launching a new initiative to help our older customers who are worried about the situation, feel safer in our stores. From 8:30am to 9:30am Monday to Thursday, we will be giving older customers exclusive access to all our stores when they are at their quietest. This is our GOLDEN HOUR. During this time, please can we ask all our other loyal customers to respect this and support our older customers to be able to pick up the supplies they need. From 9:30am we will gladly welcome all customers to our stores. We aim to be able to offer this service for as long as we can and please feel free to contact your local store for any further information regarding this initiative. Our Stores
    Please be assured, we are making every effort to try and help limit the spread of the virus in our stores. We have intensified our cleaning process and colleagues are requested to regularly sanitise their hands, equipment and trolley handles.

Our Products
    We are working extremely hard to keep our shelves stocked, particularly with the essential items you need. We are aware that the increasing demand has resulted in some gaps on our shelves, but I want to reassure you that we are in regular contact with suppliers to keep restocking these items.

Finally, I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support and to thank our colleagues who are working incredibly hard to ensure we can continue to serve our local communities during these unprecedented times. We will continue to monitor the situation and follow government advice, however in the meantime all our stores remain open and ready to help.

Best wishes, Emma Fox
    CEO
    The Original Factory Shop
    I understand your concerns, but surely being just seniors, who are at the least "social distancing" has to be better than being in a crowded shop that has people of all ages? I know that the situation we find ourselves in, is going to be testing at best. We are going to have to make many adjustments to our every day life.
    The reason supermarkets are reluctant to limit buying is because soon, when the steepening curve of the RoI rises due to government incompetence in containing the spread, they will be short staffed and factories, also short staffed, will be delivering part orders only. Supermarkets are making hay while the sun is shining. Soon the clouds will gather and they will be empty-shelved, like in some awful Brad Pitt movie. DO NOT BELIEVE THE COMFORTING RUBBISH YOU GET ON TV, ITS MOSTLY LIES.