Thomas Cook

Former Community Manager
    This page has been updated to reflect ATOL guidance as of 30 September 2019.

We understand that customers who have a booking with Thomas Cook will have some concerns following the recent announcement that the company has ceased trading. We know that this is a very distressing time for customers affected by this.

Which companies are part of Thomas Cook?
    If you booked a flight, holiday or accommodation recently with any of the companies below you will be affected.
    • Thomas Cook Retail Ltd (ATOL 0020)
    • Thomas Cook Tour Operations Ltd (ATOL 1179)
    • Future Travel Ltd (ATOL 5704)
    • The Freedom Travel Group Ltd (ATOL 6042)
    • TCCT Retail Ltd (ATOL 10585)

Customers who are currently abroad
    If you’re abroad, please visit Thomas Cook (this link will open in a new window) or contact the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) on +44 1753 330 330. The CAA is arranging return flights for those who are impacted, up to and including Sunday 6th October 2019.

Customers who are due to travel
    If you booked a package holiday with Thomas Cook which includes a flight, you are covered by ATOL (this link will open in a new window). The ATOL website will contain details of how to make a claim from 30th September 2019.
    If you have booked a package holiday without a flight (coach, ferry etc) you are covered by ABTA (this link will open in a new window).
    Not all flights booked with Thomas Cook will be protected by the ATOL scheme. If an ATOL certificate was not received at the point of booking, then the flight will not be ATOL protected.

What should I do if I have ATOL protection?
    On Monday 30th September, ATOL updated its guidance on what actions affected customers should take with regards to bookings made for Thomas Cook.
    For ATOL protected bookings, customers are entitled to make a claim for a refund via the ATOL scheme. The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has advised customers with ATOL protected bookings to make a claim directly, not with their bank.
    Details on how to do this will be available via the CAA website (this link will open in a new window) from 30th September 2019.

If you have already submitted documentation to us for ATOL protected trips, please follow this guidance, as Tesco Bank will be unable to continue with your claim.

How do I know if I’m ATOL protected?
    If a flight or holiday is ATOL protected, you should have received an ATOL certificate as soon as you made the first payment. Further information can be found by visiting Thomas Cook (this link will open in a new window).

I don’t have ATOL protection, can I get a refund?
    If you’re not ATOL protected and booked your flights or holiday using a Tesco Bank Debit or Credit card please email [email protected].
    We will need the following information from you:
    • Your Name
    • Your Postcode
    • Thomas Cook Booking Invoice
    • Last 4 digits of your Tesco Bank credit or debit card number

How long will it take to get my refund?
    Due to the number of customers affected it may take us slightly longer than normal to process your claim but we will be in touch when we have an update.

I booked additional services (e.g. airport parking, transfers or excursions), what should I do?
    In the first instance please try to cancel these bookings. If you’re not able to cancel them, please email [email protected] and include the following information:
    • Your Name
    • Your Postcode
    • Thomas Cook Booking Invoice
    • Details of the additional services

I have been paying for my holiday via Direct Debit, what should I do?
    If Direct Debit payments to Thomas Cook are due to leave your account on Tuesday 24 September, you should cancel these. This can be done via our Mobile App, Internet Bank or via our customer service centres. Direct Debits scheduled for collection on subsequent dates will not be processed due to the insolvency.

I purchased Travel Money from Tesco for a Thomas Cook holiday, what can I do?
    For our travel money customers who are impacted by this announcement, we will buy back any foreign currency at the same rate that it was purchased, meaning you will not be left out of pocket. All we need to facilitate this is proof of the travel money purchase, such as a bank entry or till receipt, and evidence of your booking confirmation with Thomas Cook.

I used my Tesco Bank credit/debit card to buy travel money at another outlet for my Thomas Cook holiday, what can I do?
    Please email us [email protected] including the following information:
    • Your Name
    • Your Postcode
    • Evidence Thomas Cook holiday e.g. your Thomas Cook Booking Invoice
    • Details of travel money transaction

I have Tesco Travel Insurance and am currently on holiday, if my return flight is delayed, will I still be covered?
    For policy holders who are currently abroad and whose return to the UK has been delayed, the policy will be extended free of charge. This will ensure that cover for medical expenses and other claims remains in place.
  • 352 Replies

If i have a payment due on a credit card for Thomas Cook should i still make this whilst waiting for the ATOL to progress any claim. Its likely due to the high demand for refunds etc it will take ATOL a long time to refund. Or will payments due on Tesco credit cards for Thomas Cook be suspended?
    Your Community Expert
    Hi , thanks for your message. You'll need to continue paying your credit card in the mean-time, however once you receive the refund this will pay off any balance that is on your account at that time. I hope this helps - Ainsley
    Thanks. I called this morning at 8am and was advised to email the above address. I sent all the information in this morning. Will each customer's email get acknowledged so they know it has been received?
    Your Community Expert
    You won't receive an email to let you know we've received it, however we'll get back to you as soon as we can - Ainsley
    Just to say - checked my spam folder and there was actually an auto response from Tesco Bank which states "Thank you for your email, please accept this auto-response as confirmation that your documents have been received. Please note that we will be unable to correspond with you regarding your claim via email." That is very helpful to know the documents have been received.Thanks
    Your Community Expert
    Aw I'm sorry about that! I didn't realise an automated response would be sent, apologies! - Ainsley
    I paid seperately for my flights and my holiday, both on our Tesco credit card. Unfortunately we have tried every possible avenue to try to find flights for our booked dates to Rhodes next week. As we now cannot get to our holiday destination because of the airline collapse can we claim for the cost of the flights and the acomodation?? Advise much appreciated....Angela
    Former Community Manager
    Hi , if you follow the process above and send us an email with the information we can look into this further. I hope this helps.
    How do we stand if we have paid direct debit and actually finished paying?