RED letter

Have had emails and now a RED letter with threats of debt collection for one months policy owing. I no longer own my car so stopped the direct debit on tax and insurance. My own fault for not looking how to cancel. Tried to log on numberous times yet your browser will not recognise my device, and simply will not let me log on. I have tried to phone but it is difficult when I am in work, just tried again now and just on hold. I now have found out that there is a £40 cancellation charge! What a rip off. I have not got time to sit on the phone and wait, I have emailed to say that I did not realise there was an outstanding amount as at NO point in your letters did you state this until you sent the debt threat letter to me. I am MORE than happy to pay this but this seems an impossible task. Please contact me on my email address with details of how I can pay the outstanding amount...I certainly hope I do not have the £40 cancellation after all of this!

• 6 Replies

Your Community Expert
    Hi , I'm sorry to hear this. So I can look into this for you, can you please confirm your full name, DOB and postcode in a private message to ? - Chris
    Well, I have never had such difficulty or been charged so much before when I have cancelled a policy. Either way £40 is excessive, trying to get hold of Tesco is a nightmare at times so why not accept an email for cancellation? Even though I have proved that I did not have the car, I am still being charged, so hopefully my payments will be back dated, it can go towards the cancellation fee. Thanks, will be going elsewhere for my new car.
    Your Community Expert
    I appreciate this must be frustrating. I will log your comments regarding the cancellation as feedback and send it to the Development Team. Once we have verified the proof of sale documents we will be in touch to let you know - Chris
    Reminder of outstanding balance, please contact us urgently - so received this just now by email, I rang up, told I owe more money even though I have sent my proof of destruction to you as requested and my case was being handed over to a different team to look at the fact that the car was scrapped early May but I have still had to pay my premium for June! I paid the June premium over the phone, to be told that there will be another o/s amount of around £15 but that she would pass my case on to a different team.
    Agent today says I owe £27 but no idea why. The car was scrapped on 7th May. I understand now that I did not follow procedure (well, your procedure), but my has this been time consuming and painful..!!
    NOW that said, Tesco did then write off the outstanding £27 so cannot argue with that, however the ease of resolution was difficult, but in the end we got there. Thanks you.
    Above and beyond
    Good Morning @TimMeans

Charges relating to the early cancellation of a policy are clearly stated, as highlighted below.

A proof of scrappage certificate would have made all the difference, had it been produced at the time.

Payment can be made by phone, online or by Freepost.

Freepost RSJB-RZZY-HTJB, Tesco Bank Customer Service, P.O. Box 276, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE12 2BT.

Please note, there will be a £40 fee for cancelling your policy unless you cancel within the first 14 days.

More information can be found within your Policy booklet.

Best Regards, Chris, @CSKBrambles
    Community superstar
    Hi @TimMeans

I'm sorry to hear this.
    Pleased you got it sorted, legally 😀
    Warm wishes, Caz @25H