Appalling security process

Your Community Expert
    I'm really sorry you're unhappy with the complaint resolution, . If you're unhappy with the resolution of your complaint then you can take this to the Financial Ombudsman for further investigation. I've left a link below which confirms how to do this - Carly

https://www.tescobank.com/help/complaints/

Window shopper
    I have to say they are light years behind in technology in terms of security procedures but had good experience with customer support recently. But yes with such resources it is shocking they have not incorporated technologies such as fingerprint recognition to pass security instead of asking what's your credit limit. Who remembers that? Even new start ups like Starling/Monzo/Revolut are so advanced in comparison with their print confirmations and magic emails etc.
    For what's worth, here's a story: Even though I can understand someone's indignation when things don't seem to work for them, it is unfair to say that this kind of security processes are exclusive to Tesco Bank. Last year I had a problem with my previous current account provider in that, one day, seemingly through the post came an envelope from them which I thought was junk mail (only God know what that was) so I crossed it out "RTS - Return to Sender" and posted it back. A week later my provider blocked my debit card and online access and when I called them they wouldn't unblock them because -- guess what -- they asked me what the amount for my last card transaction was (a transaction which was fresh so it wasn't probably in any statement even if I had downloaded them) and I couldn't remember. I remember I only said "Possibly Aldi or Lidl for 3 or 4 founds". And the operator went "Is it Aldi or Lidl?" and "Was it 3 or 4 pounds?" (as if I had a photographic memory of anything I say or do). And I just couldn't remember. They said I was blocked 'for security' because of the returned mail issue. Explaining that I was still at the same address and I had returned that piece of mail myself got me nowhere. So I had to visit a branch to get my account and card unlocked, then, as soon as I got access to Online Banking again of course I complained, and I got an apology back which made me regret it a bit. So on that occasion I also think that my previous provider's security processes were unhelpful, and told them so, but overall my relationship with the provider was and continues to be very good and even though a minor setback I wouldn't leave them for that. So perhaps after the storm passes put things into perspective and let it go (and next time just bin the suspect junk mail instead ;-) BTW I wouldn't use any of the new app-only banks because I can't upgrade my device often enough and every device I get eventually gets old too quickly and the apps stop working or the latest versions coming through. App-based banking is only for someone who's always gonna have access to a new or upgraded device. Tesco is unique though, in that Support is offered through a 'community' forum (reminds me of GiffGaff), and I wish it was through secure messaging as part of Online Banking instead, but at least since I found a place where I can present issues and be heard I can't complain. And even though I still can't get my head around that posting to 'Tesco-Bank' on a public forum a bunch personal details can be private and secure, I bet that that is possible (anything is possible with technology), I just have to fight my natural instinct of equaling anything 'forum' with 'public' (even 'promiscuous'), and understand that that's probably just the way things are set up, different to what I'd expect, for sure, but still probably ok, that's all.
    Former Community Manager
    Hi , thanks for this. I've record all your comments as feedback. Are you aware that we do have a secure messaging facility? If you contact the team on our Facebook or Twitter accounts they can provide a link :) - Ross