Appalling security process

Not for the first time have encountered totally inflexible and unhelpful Tesco Bank security process. Made the huge mistake of getting a new Laptop so when I needed to log in it was not a recognised device. I've not logged in for a long time so could not remember any PIN and was forced by the web site to call an 0345 number. Then it seems despite providing lots of info I 'failed security' and there is nothing I can do except keep ringing back in a lottery of which security questions I might get asked in the hope of getting one right. Of course, if I really was a criminal this is good advice from Tesco - just keep ringing trying out new combinations until you get the right one! Had a similar occurance with this lot several years agao when I was sudfdenly rung with demands for security info while I was standing in the middle of Hyde Park 100 miles from any statement or other info. Apparently they will post me a new log in number - wow high security there - it'll be hidden in an envelope! It takes 3-5 days it seems, so they treat this urgently then?
  • 13 Replies

Your Community Expert
    Hi , I'm sorry you feel this way. Our Security processes are in place to protect your account and your details.

You will receive a message on screen advising your computer is unrecognised from time to time and this is due to the cookies being cleared from your web browser; this is how we recognise a customer’s device. Normally when this message pops up you should be able to continue your log in by requesting a One Time Access Code to your mobile phone or landline. What would prevent you from completing this process would be part of your security being locked.

If this is the case, we can send you a Temporary Security Number (TSN) through the post which will reset your online banking and allow you to get logged in again. This can take between 3-5 business days to arrive and will be valid for 30 days – if you would like me to arrange this for you, please send a private message to with your full name, DOB and postcode. Alternatively, you can call our Online Helpdesk anytime on 0345 300 3511 and request a TSN to be sent by text immediately once security is completed.

If you are unable to pass security then we will have to send this by post to the home address we hold on file for you.

Just not true. You deliberately make it difficult. You expect me to give you details that are only on a statement when I only get statements electronically which I cannot access on your web site as I have got a new computer you don’t want to recognise. And not for the first time are you messing me around. You show no flexibility or willingness to help and demand information most people who have fallen for getting service online won’t be able to answer. I’m already now in the next loop of waiting 3-5 days for a top security letter. Resorting to post in this day and age is stunning and makes a mockery of your claims about protecting customers as it is so easy for post to be intercepted.
    Your Community Expert
    As I've said the security processes are in place to protect your account and details . These are not meant to be a barrier to stop you getting access to your account and I'm sorry that you feel this is the case.

Your security will consist of a six digit security number that you will have chosen yourself and 3 security questions that you will have given us the answer to. If you are unable to provide these then will will ask you questions regarding your account and will have to reset your security number and/or questions.

Once you receive the security number we have sent to you, just go to log-in as normal and follow the on-screen instructions to get back online. From there, you can update your online security details and you can also choose to recognise the device in future. If you use the mobile app, you'll need to log-in to online banking first through the website before getting back on the app.
    Completely untrue. I was only asked questions about the account, security code, credit limit and last transaction. No personal security questions except name and address. So it was impossible to win. You are deliberately misleading any readers to try and cover up how much contempt Tesco has for customers and your preference for complication over actual security.
    Your Community Expert
    We will ask the personal security questions if you are able to pass the security number . If you are unable to recall this or your security number is locked we will ask you the extended security questions about your account.

I'm not attempting to mislead anyone, I am simply explaining our security procedures, I'm sorry if this came across differently.

As you are clearly unhappy with my explanation and I am unable to resolve this for you I can certainly raise a complaint for you regarding our security procedures. If you would like me to do so please send a message to with your full name, DOB and postcode.
    Which I have now done. Anyone reading this should just be warned how difficult Tesco Bank are to deal with. Just being a loyal customer is no protection from their poor attitude and unreasonably complex procedures designed to protect them not you.
    Window shopper
    Receiving a code by post is the most backwards insecure method I've known in the banking world. Most of us have fingerprint or face recognition phones and not to be able to accept a log in through your app instead of a code sent by sms is absurd. I have issues with mobile phone signals and sometimes cannot get this code. (my father too who lives in Wales and has no phone signal where he lives - a real pain to have to handle these one time codes by sms as they don't arrive!!) All other banking apps I have send an approval to your app to recognise - not by an sms or letter. Come on Tesco when are you going to change your methods of verification? Take a look at fintech companies such as Revolut/Starling/Monzo. Monzo are signing up 35,000 customers a week due to their advanced online banking features. Are you going to change your method of verification? At least add the app approval in addition to an sms? Through wifi please and not phone signal.
    Your Community Expert
    I'm sorry to hear you're unhappy with our processes, . We don't currently have any plans to introduce an in-app method of verification, however I'll definitely pass on your comments as feedback so we can improve for the future - Carly
    Just so you know, complaint was a waste of time. Seems asking security questions you can only answer if you have a statement in front of you is considered the best way for Tesco Bank to ensure you can't access your account. For example, as happened to me in the middle of Hyde Park a few years ago I was asked about what my credit limit was as a security question - I could not remember suprisingly and with the latest problem I had exactly the same question - I couldn't answer because I only have online statements and because I could not access my account I could not check what my credit limit was. So, all customers, make sure you memorise your credit limit or you'll face being locked out of your account until they send you a letter!!! Yes, a letter in 2019. Still good to see Tesco supporting the Post Office!!!