Cancellation of Car Insurance

Will I get charged a cancellation fee if I sell my car and no longer need the car insurance?
  • 9 Replies

• Verified Answer

Your Community Expert
    Verified Answer
    Hi , thanks for your message. If you are past your 14 day cooling off period then you will be charged a fee for cancelling your policy, even if you have sold your car. I hope this helps
    Two days ago I traded in my car for a newer one. Before I drove home in that newer car I went to the Tesco website and filled in all the details of the new vehicle for a change of car so that the insurance could be transferred over. Tesco's website even worked out the new quote and presented the price. However, the website failed to function fully - when it got to the 'Confirm' button nothing happened. I tried several times.Since I could not drive home without insurance I logged into Churchill insurance and opened a new policy instead.It now appears that Tesco expect to charge a fee of £40 for policy cancellation and I even have to listen interminably to 'your call is important' to hand it over!So NO. I have cancelled the monthly direct debit. The tesco policy will lapse through non-payment. Tesco would have had extra business with higher payments but their own inadequacies prevented it.I originally chose Tesco insurance thinking they were a reputable company. I was wrong. They are next to useless.
    Employee
    Hi , I'm sorry to hear you've had trouble making the change online with us. If you called us we certainly would have looked into this for you, and if it was a Tesco error we would have made the change to your policy without an admin fee. If you're looking to cancel your policy, I would encourage you to call us on 0345 246 2895 (Mon - Fri: 8am - 9pm, Sat - Sun: 9am - 5pm), this is because if a policy has been cancelled due to non-payment, it may affect your ability to obtain insurance with us or elsewhere.

If you're unable to call us back to get this cancelled, you can write to us requesting cancellation at: Freepost RSJB-RZZY-HTJB Tesco Bank Customer Service, P O Box 276, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE12 2BT. Please also include your policy number, DOB, address and a signature if you are writing.
    Thank you CarlyI expect you suffer greatly apologising for inadquate systems. I feel for you.Calling wasn't really an option because I had beforehand tried to print the policy documents so they were to hand when away at the dealership. Sadly the printing failed because the Tesco website generated an unreadable certificate of insurance and utterly failed to even generate the policy document.I recognise a faulty system when I see one since I am a web developer by profession. I've built and tested systems since before the web was invented.I have used a throw-away identity for this noticeboard. If you send private contact details to the email address I have used here I will forward policy number etc. so that you can cancel the policy.
    Employee
    I'm afraid we're unable to cancel the policy via this platform, . We would need you to contact us on either of the methods above, that would be either calling us or sending us a letter to get this cancelled. I'll certainly take a note of the comments on your difficulty navigating our website and pass them on as feedback.
    As you wish, Carly I'll send a letter. It would be so much more customer-friendly simply to have a 'Cancel Policy' section on the website.
    Your Community Expert
    Your comments will be passed on as feedback. Apologies for any inconvenience.
    Hello please can you tell me if I take a provisional insurance policy once I pass my test will I be able to cancel if the requote is to high , and if so would I charged for the whole year
    Your Community Expert
    Hi , thanks for getting in touch. You can change the details on the policy at any point. Once you pass your test, you would just need to contact our Car Insurance team to update the license. However please be aware, this may result in an increase to the premium. If you're not happy with the price then you can cancel the policy. I hope this clarifies things for you!