Credit card payment time question

Banned
    Payment on my Tesco credit card is due today (Aug 27th, a bank holiday). I have made the minimum payment this morning by phone using my debit card. I'd like to know if this payment will be credited to my account in time to meet the payment date.If this is not the case, is there still time to make a payment via online banking, and if so, until what time today could I do this (for it to be considered as paid today)? Thanks for any help.
  • 3 Replies

Former Community Manager
    Hi , payments via this method can take two days to clear so I wouldn't expect this to have cleared in time. However, do you know that we have different options to pay your Credit card online including faster payments? You can read more about this below in the following link:

Paying your Credit Card

This last month I made the payment through the online system on the day the payment was due... and got a late payment fee applied. I find it somewhat underhanded how this is carried out since there online system states the following:"We'll authorise your debit card payment with your bank straight away"I had always assumed that by making the payment through the online system, they had a record that it was paid on time. Typically I recieve an email stating the payment has gone through, yet in this instance I "miraculously" never recieved any email confirmation; I suppose so I have no proof it was actually transacted on that date. Even more misleading is that when you do the payment online it states "payment successful" However here I am with a late payment fee applied to my account, and I also assume a mark against my credit file; which is going to be sitting there for 6 years thanks to this little caveat they try and utilise. Can someone provide a manner in which I can contact Tesco to register a complaint about this. I dont want to call as I have no ability to record that, and I feel it is important I have something which I can have recorded since I may have to escalate the matter to the financial ombudsmans.
    Former Your Community Expert
    Hello I'm sorry to hear you're looking to raise a complaint. It is noted on your statement that debit card payments can take 2 working days to clear on your account and this should be taken into consideration when making a payment.

If you could please private message with your full name, DOB and postcode, I'll be able to assist you further - Caroline