Tesco Home Insurance - Online Only? Does it auto renew?

My elderly parents have had their home insurance with Tesco for a couple of years. This year no reminders was sent by post, only an e-mail asking my mother to 'log in to Your Insurance Account'. She has no online account and to create one Tesco have to speak to her on the phone to create one! I phoned on her behalf and eventually the agent agreed to post the renewal documents but only after insisting 'the insured' makes the request for postal documents. Only when I said 'forget it' we will go somewhere else did he action the postal documents - or so I thought! The call was over 4 days ago and to date no letter has arrived and the insurance runs out tommorrow. So my question is does this auto renew? If it doesn't I will be signing my mother up for a company that is more friendly towards the elderly.
  • 3 Replies

Former Community Manager
    Hi , I'm aware that we've been chatting about this in private messages. However, I thought I would reply to your post so any other customers who are in a similar situation can see this post. Generally only the policyholder and/or their spouse can discuss a policy with us. However, exceptions would be if we had any authority to deal with a third party (for example: Power of Attorney). Should a policy holder require a person to have authority to deal on their behalf they can always contact us via telephone to arrange this.
    Other customers should also be aware that Tesco have stopped sending postal insurance renewals and are converting customers to 'Online' without notification or consent. Unless the policy holder notices the e-mail advising of renewal an auto renewal will take place. The enforced conversion to online only requires the policy holder to phone Tesco to set up the online account. Why this can not be simpler I don't understand. I.e. click the link in the e-mail and then answer some security questions. (Probably the same questions that would be asked on the phone!!).
    Employee
    If a customer chooses the option for posted documents then this will be noted on the policy and documents sent through the post. We also send more than one reminder of renewal to give the policy holder the chance to check this.

Regarding the online registration, should there be an up to date mobile/landline number on the policy then no phone call would be required and you can register online without calling.