Tesco treating *all* Curve activity as cash advances

wrote:
    wrote:
    Tesco Bank will be charging these cash transaction fees in line with Curve’s change in how they process payments. This change has come from Curve and will be the same across all credit card providers, where cash fees apply. *(typing error corrected)Thank you I understand cash transaction fees will apply, in accordance with your terms and conditions, to cash withdrawals and gambling transactions etc. Could you please clarify whether or not you will now be applying cash transaction charges to purchases of goods and services made via curve, which would not otherwise incur such charges if the purchase had not been made via curve?Thank you
    Former Your Community Expert
    I can confirm cash transaction charges will not be applied to purchases made via Curve. As per Curve's recent update, they are now assigning the appropriate codes to identify when the Curve account has been used for a purchase. I hope this provides greater clarity.
    The problem is that it's not always clear what a "purchase" is.I paid a friend back via a Starling Settle Up link and used Curve with my Tesco CC attached, and that attracted a cash transaction charge.How is that cash? I didn't get any money - my friend did. Could someone tell me what exactly it falls under from the T&Cs? "Cash transactions are gambling transactions, wire or
    international money transfers, repaying borrowing (e.g. loans and
    mortgages), purchasing non-sterling currency outside of Tesco,
    payments to prepaid or virtual cards, investments, share trading and
    spread betting" It's not a wire transfer, it's not a payment to a card - I can't really see what else would apply.I've contacted Curve for the MCC they forward and they replied with: "Merchant Category Code 6012 (Merchandise and Services—Customer Financial Institution)" How is that cash??
    MCC 6012 denotes businesses who are classified as a financial institution, with this code generally being assigned for repayment of a financial service, such as mortgage or loan repayment. If you can privately message with your full name, DOB and postcode, we’ll take a closer look at this for you.
    If it's being incorrectly treated as a mortgage/loan repayment, I'll contact Tesco CS instead.
    On a side note, it's incredible that there's no secure CS messaging in the app or online (as far as I can see).I'm not sure I remember how to dial a number on my phone....
    You can reach our credit card team 24/7 on 0345 300 4278. I would just like to clarify that our rules are based on the MCC provided. If an inaccurate MCC is provided by a merchant, this is not a fault as we are acting on the information they have given. I will record the feedback you've provided regarding the lack of secure messaging at this time.
    Window shopper
    What's the latest with Curve and Tesco CC? I was tempted to use Curve with my Tesco CC attached for normal purchases. Are these going through ok without any cash advance charges on Tesco side?
    Your Community Expert
    Hi , Tesco Bank will be charging these cash transaction fees in line with Curve’s change in how they process payments. This change was made by Curve and will be the same across all credit card providers, where cash fees apply - Thomas
    On the look out
    You can reach our credit card team 24/7 on 0345 300 4278. I would just like to clarify that our rules are based on the MCC provided. If an inaccurate MCC is provided by a merchant, this is not a fault as we are acting on the information they have given. I will record the feedback you've provided regarding the lack of secure messaging at this time.

Not correct (at least not correct anymore - if indeed it was correct at one point). Credit card team CANNOT be reached 24/7 on 0345 300 4278.

I called just now (6:21 AM). After going through menu options, entering card number, then the automated recording said "Our offices are currently closed, but our online services are available 24/7..".

Really useful (and comforting) to know that the online services are available 24/7 when we need to speak to a staff member. 😉I suppose thousands of customers are still unaware that online services can and do run (unless they are downed for maintenance) pretty much 24/7? 😉 I mean which banks have online services that only run during certain times?