Tesco treating *all* Curve activity as cash advances

Employee
    Hi Alan, the fees and interest will both be refunded for you, and this would not impact your 0% interest period for purchases, so you'll still have this on the account.

Credit reference agency's will be able to see this on your credit report, however this should not have any negative effects given the cash transactions were not used to pay off any other finance or for gambling.
    Window shopper
    Thank you for your reply Unfortunately I'm not sure how you can make that assertion. If Tesco Bank are reporting Cash Transactions to the CRAs, that is all alternative lenders will see - they wont know if it was 'normal' spend or me withdrawing thousands and going to the bookies. It's up to the other lender to construe from that what they will. If Tesco Bank have stopped treating Curve as a cash transaction Tesco Bank should not be reporting *any* Curve spend as cash spend to the CRAs; it is factually inaccurate and potentially very damaging.
    Employee
    Cash withdrawals, like ATM transactions or cashback, do get reported, but cash transactions, like the transactions using Curve cards, do not. This means there'll be no impact on your credit file.
    I have been incorrectly charged the fee because I used my Tesco credit card to pay for a mortgage valuation. This is a service and not repayment of borrowing as stated in the T&Cs. Surely Tesco must be investigating and refunding other users who have been wrongly charged a fee having already done so for Curve card users.
    Dont't use your Tesco CC for any of your mortgage fees. They also see this as cash transactions. I paid for my Valuation using CC and now have fee + interest. Paying for a service is somehow repaying borrowing even though i haven't even taken out the mortgage yet!!
    Employee
    Hi , I'm sorry to read your posts and for any confusion that has been caused. If you use your card with a financial provider, it's down to how that company processes the transaction; if they class payments like the one you've made as a cash transaction, then that's how it will appear on our end. This hasn't changed as part of the recent change to the terms and conditions, this has always been the case. We'd always advise to check before using your card when you pay for a service.
    Sorry, But when I phoned customer services to query the transaction I was told the reason WAS the changes which came in to affect on June 1st because the payment was made to a mortage provider, it doesn't seem to matter why just who was paid. Before I knew the issue was Tesco I contacted the mortgage provider as I thought they had put the payment through incorrectly. This is their response: "We would have just followed the standard process of which a relevant fee is debited/charged to cover the amount. I, or anyone haven’t heard of this before being classed as a cash transaction , as it just isn’t a cash transaction. This is the first case I’ve heard of this happening on and if we did this on more cases it would be an issue that would have a resolution for." Tesco clearly haven't thought this change through and the Terms & Conditions are nowhere near clear enough for the charges which are being applied. This payment was not a "Repayment of Borrowing". I haven't even got the mortgage yet so how could i be repaying it?
    Employee
    I'm sorry for any confusion caused by my response . We class our transactions based on the information provided to us by the merchant who is processing the payment. Even if you've been told they haven't changed anything at their end, if they send us a request for a payment that appears as a cash transaction, then that's how we will process it.
    Hi , Are you any nearer a timescale for the refunds yet? Thanks. wrote:
    We don’t have a timescale for the refunds yet, but they will be carried out automatically, so no-one will need to call. Our Credit Card team are working on the solution right now, but as soon as we get an update about it, we’ll let you all know. No-one will be out of pocket due to the charges and the interest will be adjusted. As for interest, the transactions will be treated as purchases for the time being, so if you do currently pay interest on your account and you don’t clear the balance of the account off in full and on time, interest may be added to your statement. The pause to the charges will be applied in the coming days, so it’s still possible that any transactions made over the next few days will still have the same fees applied, but as discussed in my last post, these will be refunded. We will be notifying customers about what happens next regarding services like Curve soon, but we don’t have a timescale yet. There will be plenty of notice though and we’ll make sure that everything is clearly laid out.
    Former Community Manager
    Hi , thanks for your message. We don't currently have an update. However, as soon as we do, we will let our customers know.