Deactivate contactless on debit / credit card

Hi,
    Is it possible to request a new debit or credit card without contactless or to deactivate the contactless feature?
  • 42 Replies

Supervisor
    Hello. AFAIK Tesco Bank may offer you a non-contactless Visa Debit card if requested. It's worth pointing out this card will be for Online Use only however. That'd mean you'd be unable to use it for buying goods on the train, to buy fuel with Pay at the Pump etc as these systems process the transaction(s) 'offline'. May I ask why you'd like non-contactless versions of your cards? I'm keen to stress that any fraudulent transactions carried out are capped at up to £30, they'd need your PIN if the terminal performs a random security check and that you'd be covered by Tesco Bank in light of such issues.

Mod edit - All debit cards are now contactless. Also, a new contactless limit of £45 (increased from £30) became available in UK retailers from 1 April 2020.
    Last edited by ChristinaG; 06-01-21 at 11:11. Reason: change in process
    Hi, Thank you for your reply. In answer to your question for me personally £30 is a significant amount of money to lose, even if temporarily. There's still a lag time to get the money back if card is used fraudulently. It’s inconvenient to have to go through the process of reclaiming money back. I also don’t want family members being able to take debit card, use the contactless facility and slip the card back in my purse without me noticing. I'll just have to be more vigilant! I think contactless offers better protection than using cash but having to enter a pin number every time offers an extra layer of security.
    Hi ,

Currently we cannot offer non-contactless cards however I understand your concerns surrounding the technology and I would like to log your comments in our feedback system. In order that I can do this, please message with your full name, DOB and postcode - Tristan
    Banned
    Our local police force are giving out contactless card blocking pockets which you can put your card in to stop it being read. They say this is because of the escalating fraud / theft from card holders using these contactless cards.Big warning of intelligence which suggests the xmas period will see even more scanning and stealing details in queues at cash points and checkouts.
    AFAIK Banking rules say you have to offer non contactless cards? Notwithstanding any Tom bleep or Harry can buy a card reader from the dark web for £50 and fleece as many 30 quids as they can until the card holder notices.
    I've received my new Tesco credit card today and unfortunately it's contactless. I called up to request a new card or to get contactless deactivated, but was surprised to be told that they couldn't do either. I have cards with other banks and have had no problem either getting a new card or have a contactless one deactivated.

When will you be bringing yourselves up to speed with other UK banks and offering non-contactless cards ?

Employee

Hi Abright, currently we cannot offer non-contactless cards however I understand your concerns and would like to log your comments in our feedback system. So I can do this, please private message with your full name, DOB and postcode. Please leave a space between all the characters in your DOB and postcode or the message won’t come through to us. We introduced contactless cards on the back of feedback received from our customers, we do review and take feedback seriously but can't guarantee a non-contactless card will be released.

I have just received my new credit card today and am gutted it is contactless - i think i have been with Tesco credit card for about 15 years and now as they refuse to offer non contactless options i am going to have to go elsewhere. I have my main bank account with Halifax who give customers the option of contactless or not as do many other banks. I am very surprised Tesco have taken choice away from their customers at a time when most companies are trying to keep hold of their valued customers. I have tried to contact Tesco to discuss this to see if there is an option but was forced to search online as their lines are very busy - no doubt with people phoning up about their new contactless cards.
    I don't want contactless on my CC either and am very dissapointed being told that I can't turn it off on my card. I will stop using Tesco CC till they sort this out. Their loss not mine as I have lots of other CC I can use with pin only.