Deactivate contactless on debit / credit card

Employee
    Apologies for the delay in replying to your comments, . I am sorry that being unable to switch off the contactless functionality has left you disappointed. Whilst I can't change this, I will feed your comments back.
    Due to an attempted fraudulent activity on my Tesco credit card, I had to be issued with a new one. But when it arrived, I was extremely angry to find this was a ‘contactless’ card, which I had never requested and absolutely did not want under any circumstances with its’ known security issues. Particularly so, as I had enough hassle with the security breach on my original card, without adding a whole new way to at least double the chances of it happening again!! I think Tesco forget that, while the money is refunded, the card has to be replaced as well, with all the hassle that entails, which includes having to mess around re-registering card verify in middle of trying to order something and, any standing orders on the original card.This left me with two options, cancel the card or, (as I had nothing to lose and like a challenge ) find a way to ‘neuter’ the contactless circuity, without messing up normal chip & pin payments. I should also add that also don’t like being told that I have to accept something that I don’t want!!Therefore, anyone who wishes to neuter their Contactless Tesco credit card, all you need is a Junior hacksaw (or other fine cutting saw) and follow my instruction below.Further information is available here, including how to neuter any other contactless card:https://www.instructables.com/member...instructables/
    Employee
    Hi @Johnkm_639, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry that you're unhappy with our contactless cards. While your technique will stop the contactless functionality on your card, it can also cause structural damage which can lead to the card needing to be replaced before the renewal date.

We'll make sure to pass on your comments about the cards to our Credit Card team, as they review all the feedback about the cards and the services we provide.

Thank you your reply, but not where I cut it, as there is nothing near the location of the cut to upset normal operation and please note that I am an Electrics Engineer and I know ‘contactless’ operation is nowhere near secure enough. Therefore, I was going to close my account if I hadn't succeeded, so I had nothing to lose by trying this.However, I do have a suggestion that will allow you to provide a card that satisfies both types of customer and in particular, not seriously annoy those who don't want anything to do with contactless:If you go to this article on the Instructables web site:http://www.instructables.com/id/Disa...n-Debit-Cards/ You will see an X-ray image of the antenna tracks on the authors card (not Tesco) and one of the tracks goes via the bottom right corner of that card. All it would need is a dotted line to be marked on the card across that bottom right corner, allowing the customer to snip it off via the dotted line if contactless operation is not required. Simple and effective! Unfortunately, your current card doesn’t have its antenna track run down there, but I am sure this something that could be implemented without too much of a problem. PS: There is a problem with your registration confirmation email system, in that it cannot be received via the Plusnet server. I have tried about 5 times on two different Plusnet accounts and nothing, they are not even getting to the server.I only managed to receive it when I used an old Yahoo account.
    Employee
    Thanks for passing this information on , I'll pass your feedback on regarding the contactless functionality and also around the registration issues. We've had other customers get in touch to report issues with some other email providers!
    Please provide an option for NON contactless credit cards. I have requested this before from a Tesco and I was issued one. But I’m told this is no longer an option!!

I use Apple Pay and don’t need this highly vulnerable and insecure payment method. What this point in offering Apple Pay then forcing contactless cards on your members.

I have other debit and credit card accounts that provide this as an option. I prefer Tesco because of the points, but I’m considering cancelling due to the weak security.
    Employee
    Thanks for your message @Stevenparrish71. Since the launch of our contactless cards, we've received feedback from our customers about the services they'd prefer and we do take all your comments on board and pass them to our Credit Card team. Currently we don't offer any non-contactless cards for our credit or debit card accounts.

While we do offer Apple Pay to our customers, not everyone has a compatible device or wishes to use the service, so it would be unfair on others to make this the only contactless option at present.
    My wife and I have just received our new Tesco credit cards with contactless enabled. I was straight on the phone to customer services to get it disabled, but apparently because of a survey that suggested that 'the majority of their customers wanted contactless' we all have to follow suit. Very short sighted by Tesco Bank in my opinion. Now that it seems we have no option but to have contactless on our Tesco Bank credit cards, my question to you all is, does anyone know of a bank that offers optional contactless cards?
    I was also shocked to find that I cannot request a contactless card. I have seen enough media about cloning contactless cards that I will be very reluctant to use my new card when it arrives. The security on it needs to be much more robust before I will be happy to use it. I hope Tesco will get their act together and give this option shortly. I have just changed my Waitrose card for one that is not Contactless so will probably use that in future until Tesco produce an alternative.
    Employee
    Hi

I'm sorry to hear that you are unhappy with our contactless cards. As my colleagues have mentioned above, we have implemented contactless cards based on the feedback of our customers. I will also log this as feedback so that we can take your feelings on board Pat.

Jay