Locked out from Online Banking - here's what to do

Former Community Manager
    If you get locked out from Online Banking or need a temporary security number, it is possible to reset your access yourself online.

Recognised device
    If you have locked either your password or security number and using a recognised device, simply click on ‘Forgotten your password or security number’. You will then be asked for your personal information and to answer some security questions.

Once completed, we will text a One Time Access Code (OTAC) to your mobile. Please enter this when prompted and you will then be able to reset your security information and access your Online Banking.

Unrecognised device
    If you have locked either your password or security number but are using an unrecognised device, in most instances you can still reset them online. Before you can do this we will need to do some additional checks to confirm it’s you before we send you a temporary security number.

If you are unable to reset your security information online you can:
    • call the Online Helpdesk on 0345 300 3511 (open 24 hours a day) who will be able to assist you
    • send a private message via The Community to our private @Tesco-Bank account and we can arrange for a temporary security number to be posted to you within 3 - 5 working days
    • message us via our social media channels Facebook Messenger or Twitter and we can arrange for a temporary security number to be posted to you within 3 – 5 working days

If you are using a device that was previously recognised by us and are unsure why this has changed, this is usually because you have deleted your browsing history. We recognise a customer’s device from the cookies in your web browser and when these are cleared we are unable to do this, so you would need to log in and select to recognise the device again.

For information on how to message our Tesco-Bank account, please click here.
    Last edited by JorjaRose_W; 14-01-21 at 13:39.
  • 30 Replies

Yes all the information you have regarding being locked out of online banking is very comprehensive.The omission of what to do if user name is not recognised is my question.i can load on to my insurance account via a otpc but even after completing that task and the site displaying my user name the next attempt ends in rejection any help would be appreciated
    Your Community Expert
    Hi there, so we can discuss this further, can you please privately message us here Tesco-Bank - Keigan
    Locked out again despite using Temporary Security Number you posted to me. Still says does not recognise my device.
    Your Community Expert
    Hi , I'm sorry to hear about this. So that I can look into this, could you message me at confirming your full name, DOB and postcode please? - Ainsley
    Hello.

I've recently realised that my Tesco CC registered to an old address and I'd like to change. However, when I tried to log into my Online Banking, it said my device wasn't recognised. Like many others, I don't have access to my old number... So I need to change that also, but I can't login.

I now live in abroad, but I'd like to change the address to where my Mother lives. What is the easiest way to do this?

Seems like such an unnecessary hassle considering I already had to put my security number in. Not to mention I can easily use the app to transfer money in and out of my account with no issues!!
    Former Community Manager
    Hi , can you follow the instructions on the post above and contact us so we can arrange for a Temporary Security Number to be sent to you? - Ross
    Disgusted to see that your customer service line is charged at approximately 10p/minute. After trying for 20 mins. on hold and then giving up, I have been billed £2.06 by my phone provider (I believe most providers charge for this number).I am not much more impressed by your forum support. Having raised the ticket about resetting my password two days ago I was messaged to say I would get a temporary password by text within 2 hours. A day later I still don't have it.This doesn't bode well for my chances of opening any further Tesco accounts!
    Your Community Expert
    Hi , I'm sorry to hear this. Calls to 01 or 02 numbers and may count towards any inclusive minutes in the same way as 01 and 02 calls. You can check this with your network provider. These rules apply to calls from any type of line including mobile, BT, other fixed line or payphone.

I can see that we've now replied to your private message. Have you now received this Temporary Security Number? - Thomas
    Just looking
    Useful tip in chain of messages. Do not delete browser history!