Online verification every time I use ocado several times a day

View Tag Cloud
    Just looking
    Since Saturday, every single time my wife checks out basket on ocado, it insists on sending a code on each checkout. Whilst I understand the need for fraud detection, it is ridiculous to insist on a code several times a day for the same retailer. I called support who said EVERY online transaction needs a code, when I disagreed and asked to raise a complaint I was cut off.
  • 9 Replies

Former Community Manager
    hey @Pecbeck, I'm afraid there is no way around this. Every time the order changes it will require authentication. As a result of Strong Customer Authentication, you may be asked to verify your identity more frequently when making a purchase on-line. This has created some challenges for retailers who are not ready to support the request for identity verification which will result in declined transactions. We suggest you contact the retailer and discuss how they might be able to support you to complete your purchase in these instances.

Should you wish to make a complaint you can find the full process and contact information in the link below

How to complain - Complaints - Tesco Bank
    Just looking
    HI @RossM , I am struggling to understand your response, you seem to contradict yourself by first saying authentication is required every time, then say may be required during online purchases. Which is it? Also, my complaint is not related to declined transactions. Are you saying that it is the retailer (ocado) who is requesting authentication on every change, and not Tesco/Mastercard? Is this a boilerplate reply?
    Former Community Manager
    @Pecbeck Apologies, I agree it's not my finest response. To clarify, it will require authentication every time the order is changed. I'm afraid that with Strong Customer Authentication we have no way to change this.
    Just looking
    @RossM no worries. So to be clear, this constant authentication is a rule set by some government body (who?) on Mastercard to force authentication on every change, is that correct? It's just that we are used to occasional authentication which is perfectly fine, but this issue seems to have started on ocado since last Saturday
    Former Community Manager
    Tesco Bank Credit Cards are MasterCard's meaning we must follow any changes required by MasterCard. Including security.

In the situation you described above it would look like multiple transactions with the same retailer at different amounts so would need the aforementioned constant verification. Even if only one transaction is actually processed in the end.

You have to consider that these don't look like one transaction, but multiple when the come through. I've seen this happen with retailers that allow for changes to orders before dispatch like supermarkets.

You can read more about SCA on the Financial Conduct Authority website here and here. This is what has caused the changes to MasterCard and our self as a result.
    Former Community Manager
    @Pecbeck apologies. I forgot to tag you on the above post.
    Just looking
    @RossM Many thanks for your replies, looks like someone somewhere hasn't thought this through into the real world, guess we will just have to put up with it. Thanks again for the explanations.

Edit : it occurred to me that if ocado add an "update basket" option , and a "final checkout" option, then auth could just be requested at basket 8nit and final checkout only. I will contact them to check, as this must be annoying many others too
    Last edited by Pecbeck; 11-05-22 at 19:05. Reason: Add thoughts
    Former Community Manager
    @Pecbeck You're welcome! I agree it could be better and fingers crossed a solution for these types of transactions is found. Annoyingly its just a change we can't do ourselves :(
    Just looking
    @RossM something has been changed, we no longer get authentication requests each time, good news