Phone Purchase - Chargeback

Fresh Eyes
    Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could tell me how quickly I can expect a reply after filling in the form for a charge back? I originally raised it back in December but was told 30 days was required for them to refund, once this passed I responded to the email (Ensuring I didn't change the subject) but I am yet to hear anything back.

This is my timeline of events -
    Nov 28th - Ordered a handset with a Cyber Monday offer of delivery by the 30th
    Nov 30th - No sign of a delivery and no tracking
    Dec 4th - Tracking provided that showed it was awaiting dispatch
    Dec 4th - 14th Dec - I chased multiple times to be told it would be dispatched by the end of the week.
    Dec 14th - I made a complaint on Trustpilot, was contacted and told it was too late to cancel as it had been dispatched.
    Dec 16th - A phone arrived but this was the wrong handset and even a different colour.
    Dec 17th - I requested a returns label.
    Dec 17th - A returns label was provided, I tried to use this at the post office but it would not scan and they would not take my parcel.
    Late Dec - Both myself and my wife fell sick with Covid inc hosp for my wife. I emailed them to say I would pay for postage and return the handset.
    Jan 12th - The incorrect handset was packaged and returned at my expense.
    Jan 13th - It arrived and they emailed me to say I was outside of their 14 day policy so I would not be getting a refund or replacement. They asked for an address to send the phone back which I have refused.

This is the wording from their policy - You are entitled to a refund, as long as you inform us of your decision to cancel within 14 calendar days, from the day after the delivery of goods.

Not only did I inform them within 14 days but it was not the correct device that was sent to me so I ordered elsewhere!

How do I speak to someone at Tesco about this? I have no idea if my claim is being processed and I am out of pocket!

Thanks
  • 2 Replies

Your Community Expert
    Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could tell me how quickly I can expect a reply after filling in the form for a charge back? I originally raised it back in December but was told 30 days was required for them to refund, once this passed I responded to the email (Ensuring I didn't change the subject) but I am yet to hear anything back.

This is my timeline of events -
    Nov 28th - Ordered a handset with a Cyber Monday offer of delivery by the 30th
    Nov 30th - No sign of a delivery and no tracking
    Dec 4th - Tracking provided that showed it was awaiting dispatch
    Dec 4th - 14th Dec - I chased multiple times to be told it would be dispatched by the end of the week.
    Dec 14th - I made a complaint on Trustpilot, was contacted and told it was too late to cancel as it had been dispatched.
    Dec 16th - A phone arrived but this was the wrong handset and even a different colour.
    Dec 17th - I requested a returns label.
    Dec 17th - A returns label was provided, I tried to use this at the post office but it would not scan and they would not take my parcel.
    Late Dec - Both myself and my wife fell sick with Covid inc hosp for my wife. I emailed them to say I would pay for postage and return the handset.
    Jan 12th - The incorrect handset was packaged and returned at my expense.
    Jan 13th - It arrived and they emailed me to say I was outside of their 14 day policy so I would not be getting a refund or replacement. They asked for an address to send the phone back which I have refused.

This is the wording from their policy - You are entitled to a refund, as long as you inform us of your decision to cancel within 14 calendar days, from the day after the delivery of goods.

Not only did I inform them within 14 days but it was not the correct device that was sent to me so I ordered elsewhere!

How do I speak to someone at Tesco about this? I have no idea if my claim is being processed and I am out of pocket!

Thanks
    Sorry to hear you haven't had an update. The timescale for resolving Disputes is around 3 weeks at the moment. If you send us a private message here we'll check on the status for you.
    Just looking
    Hi this sounds a nightmare, poor you! I'm wondering whether it was a smart retailer dealing in cell phones, because if so I think I've been duped by the same people who totally disregard consumer rights. Looks like court action will be needed, so I'd be really interested to hear your outcome. It's a total scandal. They carefully curate their trust pilot profile but there are many verified reviews telling of similar experiences to yours (and mine). Interestingly none of the positive reviews are verified which has led some reviewers to suggest there are many fake reviews in there. Reviewers also tell how it appears they are selling phones they don't have in stock, hoping customers will accept whatever they send out as too much hassle to return. Then if they do return them they try every means, eg misleading on their legal rights, to avoid refunding them, so you have to claim through your bank. But reading on this forum Tesco Bank has one of the worst reputations for refunding customers regardless of what their consumer rights are. Seems everyone is at it. Money saving expert forum has a thread about the phone retailer if you look for the company name, maybe a few scammed customers can get together with a stronger voice and Tesco Bank will actually listen instead of fobbing customers off.