Google pay

Just looking
    I think Tesco is living in the past with their lack of support for Android Pay (Google pay).
    In their description of Apple Pay, which they support, they mention fingerprint readers as a security feature, which Apple have not used for several years on their latest phones, but which Samsung and many other Android phones still do, as well as face recognition, which both Apple and some Android phones do!
    I'm disappointed that Tesco have this policy as I have recently purchased another Android phone having previously had an iPhone (I haven't sold that yet).
    Do I change credit card for a more progressive bank that does use Android Pay I'm now wondering? Not sure yet as Tesco do provide Payplus which can be used in Tesco stores, but I think that Tesco should be supporting Android Pay by now as many other banks do.
  • 8 Replies

Window shopper
    Get with the times, Tesco Bank - why discriminate against non iPhone users? Why limit customers' use of their Tesco card? Surely you'd rather have the business than not...? If I am out without my wallet, I rely on Google Pay to make purchases, but I am forced to use a different card. You are losing business on this, surely...?

What is the actual reasoning behind the decision not to support google pay? I keep seeing "this was a business decision", but what is the actual rationale behind making things more inconvenient for a huge subset of your customers?
    Last edited by AdamW86; 13-01-22 at 17:19. Reason: additional question to ask
    Fresh Eyes
    I am leaving my Tesco credit card for Sainsbury's. I made an account just to say this as i have been hoping for Tesco to allow google pay for the last few years. Sainburys has better point rewards and they actually allow google pay. Good job Tesco you have lost another card holder.
    Just looking
    I've just applied for one as well....they do allow Google Pay on at least one of their credit cards. Tesco need to be a bit more progressive.
    Fresh Eyes
    Wow. I've just got a Tesco credit card and I'm actually taken back. I might wrap up the card and go elsewhere. Has there actually been a reason stated as to why they're not supporting it?
    Just looking
    Wow. I've just got a Tesco credit card and I'm actually taken back. I might wrap up the card and go elsewhere. Has there actually been a reason stated as to why they're not supporting it?
    I presume they think that Android is less secure, but that’s a very outdated view. I’m trying to limit my use of it as the interest mounts up a bit. I did apply for a Sainsbury card, but they wanted even more interest for some reason so I’ve not bothered.
    Fresh Eyes
    @Dulci2se I totally agree, we should be able to use gpay, Tesco do not seem to have any good reason for not using a system that works with the world most popular phones. I seems to me that Tesco are not listening to their customers
    On the look out
    I've had a reply to this from @RossM, the Test Community Manager regarding this frustration, which is promising.

"Hi, yeah the position has changed in that we are looking into bringing Google Wallet/Pay to Tesco Bank Credit Cards. However, I honestly can't say a timescale at the moment as we don't have one. The change is made at Googles side rather than us having to make changes here (other than communicate how to use the function). So any timescale I provided would be misinformation as I simply don't know how long it is going to take."

So, it seems that the statements being made on some of these threads might be happening, but Google needs to play ball too!

- - - Updated - - -

I've had a reply to this from @RossM, the Test Community Manager regarding this frustration, which is promising.<br><br>"Hi, yeah the position has changed in that we are looking into bringing Google Wallet/Pay to Tesco Bank Credit Cards. However, I honestly can't say a timescale at the moment as we don't have one. The change is made at Googles side rather than us having to make changes here (other than communicate how to use the function). So any timescale I provided would be misinformation as I simply don't know how long it is going to take."<br><br>So, it seems that the statements being made on some of these threads might be happening, but Google needs to play ball too!<br>
    Former Community Manager
    Hey, those within this thread may want to check out the below link. Google Pay is coming :)

Google Pay is coming - Tesco Bank Community