Data breach at online retailer could affect Tesco Bank customers

Hi, I have contacted Tesco Bank to get more details, but they are unable to tell me the online retailer that may have had the data breach. It is has been almost a week since I got the text message that my CC is cancelled and still no sign of a new card and no information on which online retailer may had a data breach, which is worrying as I may use another CC for the retailer in question. From what they told me on the phone is that if the data breach occured, the data that may have been stolen is the 16 digit number and card holder name. If this is the case, will my new CC have a new 16 digit number therefore will this mean I need re-register the new card on my mobile app? also I am currently waiting for a refund on my CC, how will the refund go through as company refunding the money will be using the cancelled CC details? the refund was initiated before my CC was cancelled? kind regards,pt91510
    Employee
    Hi ,

At the moment we haven't been given any information by the Card Scheme as to who the affected online retailer was; as such we have no information we can give to customers regarding this unfortunately.
    You're new card, once received, will have a different 16 digit card number from the old one. This will update on your app automatically as the app is linked to your log in details and account rather than the specific credit card number.
    Your refund should automatically go on to the new credit card we've sent. If for any reason this is not the case then please get in touch with our Credit Cards team on 0345 300 4278 - they're open 24/7.

I hope this helps.
    So after having to deal with my CC being cancelled and not being able to use it for over a week which doubles as my clubcard causing huge inconvience, I have also been waiting for a substantial refund on my CC for over 6 business days and have been chasing the vendor why they have not sent the refund as they had my cancelled CC details just before my CC was cancelled. After comfirming with tesco CC services and also this forum and got the same message "Your refund should automatically go on to the new credit card we've sent. " Today I phoned the number provided and surprise surprise, the refund was sent to my cancelled CC and was sitting there NOT automatically going on to my new CC but yet they managed to move all the transactions that I owe money. I am now told to wait till Tuesday for the refund to be transfered to my new CC, confidence of this happening..... LOW!!!! I am a Tesco CC customer for good number of years and this has me considering whether this type of bad service is worth staying on
    Employee
    Hi , I’m really sorry that your card was impacted by the potential data breach, it was for our customer’s security that the blocks were applied. I apologise about the information that was given and that the funds were not automatically transferred from your old card number to the new one.

When you spoke to us over the phone regarding this, did we raise a complaint? Also, has the refund now reached your account? We value our customers and always strive to provide the best service we can.
    It is now the 4th of April and on arriving in Spain and going to collect our car we had our card declined and were told the same story.
    As you can imagine this did not start our holiday off well and will be very inconvenient both during and after our holiday as we have a long journey still to do on arriving in uk.
    Is this still the same breach that you are working your way through?
    No text message had to call after card was declined this is second time it has happened never with any of my other cards!
    Former Community Manager
    Hi @Carolerouse, I'm sorry to hear that you’ve had issues using your card. Did you manage to get your query resolved? if not can you please send a private message to @Tesco-Bank so we can look into this for you?

Please note: don't include the @ symbol when putting in the contact details via private message, just Tesco-Bank.

In the message explaining your situation, include your name, date of birth, postcode and, if you have it, mobile number.

For details like your DOB, postcode and phone number, we ask for you to format it with additional spaces, i.e. A B 1 2 C D, 2 4 1 0 2 0 1 6 and 0 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 otherwise the information is removed by the system.