Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Does a one-off payment cause a direct debit to be skipped?
    10-09-21 , 09:47

As I was nearing my credit limit on my card, I decided to make a one-off payment to increase the amount of available credit.
    I was expecting the rest of the balance to be paid by direct debit, but it is now 2 days after the date
    when the direct debit is usually taken and it hasn't yet been taken.
    Does making a one-off payment cause a direct debit to be skipped?
    When making the one-off payment I chose 'pay statement balance', although this
    amount was only about 10% of the actual amount owing.
    Click below to see solutions
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 137

Best Answer
    10-09-21 , 11:00

@growe Hey there, thanks for getting in touch. That's correct. The direct debit is set up to collect the previous statement balance; so if you've made this payment manually the direct debit won't have anything to collect. This therefore means that you'd need to make a further manual payment if you needed to free up more credit on the account. I hope this makes sense.
    Thumbs Up

10-09-21 , 10:19

OK, I think I might have figured out what's going on. My monthly statements appear on the 19th of each month,
    and the direct debit is usually taken on the 8th of the month. I made a one-off payment of the full amount of the
    statement of 19 August. I have since made a large purchase that took me near my credit limit, but that won't
    show up on a statement until 19 September. The direct debit due on 8 Sept would have been only for purchases
    appearing on the 19 August statement, so by paying that manually, I presume that would stop the direct debit
    on 8 Sept, even though I still have a large amount owing.
    If that makes sense, could someone at Tesco Bank confirm that's what has happened? Many thanks.
    ​​​​​​​(I just want to avoid any late fees if something has gone wrong.)
    Thumbs Up

10-09-21 , 11:18

Yes, that's what I thought. Panic over. Thanks.😊
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 137

10-09-21 , 11:31

@growe You're very welcome. Have a great weekend :)