Tesco Petrol Stations - Pay At Pump Change

View Tag Cloud
    Former Community Manager

Under new rules implemented by Mastercard, Visa and American Express, Tesco Petrol stations must now request authorisation from your card issuer for up to £120. Previously, all Pay at Pump transactions were authorised by requesting a £1 transaction before taking payment for the value of the fuel 1 to 3 days later.

Once you’ve finished filling up, the final transaction amount is sent, and the remainder of any unused funds up to the maximum filling amount will be released back to your available balance. You will only ever be charged for the value of the fuel you’ve actually purchased.

This is currently being trialed in selected Tesco Petrol stations, so you may find this payment change happens at one petrol station but not at another.

If you have a question about your payment with your Tesco Bank card, please contact us on 0345 300 4278 (Credit Cards) or 0345 835 6295 (Clubcard Pay)

For more information about this change, please see these FAQ’s and read more from Mastercard, Visa or UK Finance web pages.

Attached Images Attached Images  
  • 7 Replies

Eagle eye
    @RossM
    So I have to have £99 i my current account to be able to buy £40 worth of petrol !!
    Crazy !!!
    This will resolve itself because my Tesco debit card will become obsolete when current accounts are all closed in November.

Under new rules implemented by Mastercard, Visa and American Express, Tesco Petrol stations must now request authorisation from your card issuer for up to £99. Previously, all Pay at Pump transactions were authorised by requesting a £1 transaction before taking payment for the value of the fuel 1 to 3 days later.

Once you’ve finished filling up, the final transaction amount is sent, and the remainder of any unused funds up to the maximum filling amount will be released back to your available balance. You will only ever be charged for the value of the fuel you’ve actually purchased.

This is currently being trailed in selected Tesco Petrol stations, so you may find this payment change happens at one petrol station but not at another.

If you have a question about your payment with your Tesco Bank card, please contact us on 0345 300 4278 (Credit Cards) or 0345 835 6295 (Clubcard Pay)

For more information about this change, please see these FAQ’s and read more from Mastercard, Visa or UK Finance web pages.

Why has Tesco Duplicated a petrol purchase I made to day at PFS 4003 cost £44.03 its been taken twice out of my First Direct Account WHY

- - - Updated - - -
    @RD35, Tesco PFS 4003 petrol purchase has been taken twice cost £44.03, my First Direct account shows that tpw lots of £44.03 have been taken WHY
    Your Community Expert
    Hey @RD35, I'm sorry to hear this. Is this still showing as two transactions? Once this processes, the second transaction should hopefully fall off. You can check the timescale for this with your bank. If not, it would be best to get in touch with the Tesco petrol station to get this resolved. I'm so sorry for the trouble
    @CherylV hi Cheryl the duplicate payment is still showing on my bank account, if its still there Tomorrow I will have to go to the store
    Eagle eye
    Hi @RD35, thanks for keeping us updated. The store should be able to get that sorted for you. Apologies again for the inconvenience.
    Fresh Eyes
    @RossM just paid for petrol at the pump at Tesco, the debit card receipt shows £40.1,but they have taken £40.49— why?
    Your Community Expert
    @cathyndean I'm sorry to hear this happened. Please contact the Tesco Petrol station directly and they will be able to look into this for you. I hope you get it all sorted.

If you need to ask a question about a Tesco Bank product, you can make a post in Help & Support here

Also, feel free to Introduce Yourself!