tesco bank credit card - payment due notification even when balance is 0.00

On the look out
    Since last month (May 2021) I've been receiving email notifications from Tesco Bank saying this:

Payment for your Tesco Bank Credit Card ending XXXX is due in 10 days.

Please ignore this message if you've already made your minimum payment.

To make a payment, go to Online Banking or use our Mobile App.

If you need to call us or if you have any questions, please get in touch with us.

Yours sincerely,

Your Tesco Bank Credit Card Team

My balance on both cards is 0.00. It has been for months.

How come I'm receiving these emails? When I first saw the email, I became scared that someone may have used the card without me knowing, so I checked using the app immediately and all was okay (briefly Scary nevertheless).
  • 5 Replies

Community superstar
    Hi @nvt

Yep, I get that too and I can see how scary it could be initially when you've not used your card.
    This is an automated email as a reminder even if your balance is zero.
    I'm use to it now and just like you I check my balance (just in case).

There is an option to 'Don't Send' an alert by going into 'Manage Alerts'.
    However, this will stop all alerts even when you have spent on your card unless you keep changing it.

Hope this helps!!

Warm wishes, Caz @25H
    On the look out
    Hi @nvt

Yep, I get that too and I can see how scary it could be initially when you've not used your card.
    This is an automated email as a reminder even if your balance is zero.
    I'm use to it now and just like you I check my balance (just in case).

There is an option to 'Don't Send' an alert by going into 'Manage Alerts'.
    However, this will stop all alerts even when you have spent on your card unless you keep changing it.

Hope this helps!!

Warm wishes, Caz @25H

Since when did you start receiving these notifications?

I've had a zero balance for months, but only started receiving the payment due notifications in May, then one start of this month too. Had the alert setup since long ago.

Someone on another forum asked Tesco Bank twitter support and support have told him that the email was sent in error:

Name:  mse-tesco-bank-twitter.jpg
Views: 1842
Size:  12.3 KB
    Your Community Expert
    Hi @nvt, sorry to hear about the concern this has caused! As @25H has mentioned above, this is an automated alert which we send, even if you don't have a balance to pay or have already made your minimum payment. We recently made a few changes to online banking and credit card alerts, so you may have only noticed this alert in the last month or two. You'll be able to manage the alerts you receive for your credit card via online banking, more information can be found at How do I manage my credit card spending alerts?.

Thanks for your help on this @25H :)
    On the look out
    Hi @nvt, sorry to hear about the concern this has caused! As @25H has mentioned above, this is an automated alert which we send, even if you don't have a balance to pay or have already made your minimum payment. We recently made a few changes to online banking and credit card alerts, so you may have only noticed this alert in the last month or two. You'll be able to manage the alerts you receive for your credit card via online banking, more information can be found at How do I manage my credit card spending alerts?.

Thanks for your help on this @25H :)
    Thanks for your reply.

I was not aware of the changes you've made. Just received the email notification out of the blue.

If what you are saying is correct does that mean the Tesco Bank twitter support response is incorrect? Or are you both correct? (that would be an Unfathomable proposition)
    Your Community Expert
    @nvt I'm sorry you've been told otherwise by my colleague. My colleagues response is incorrect so I'll make sure to feed this back to them. We send the payment alert to credit card customers that are currently enrolled for E-billing, even if your balance is zero.