payment reversal

Fresh Eyes
    Can anyone help, what is a payment reversal?

used my card last year (April 2020) then have not used it until April and May this year. I did not realise I had a direct debit for minimum payment set up as like I said I havnt used it much so must have set this up years ago before I was self employed. So last month I paid what I owed then two days later the direct debit came out so obviously Tesco bank did a payment reversal as this was paid twice

if you pay well before the payment is due and pay off your card will they just not then take the direct debit? Im guessing its becuase I paid it so close to a direct debit being processed.

So this leads me to my concern, the last time I used this card before this year was April 2020 and because of the pandemic starting we left a pile of post and I did not see my credit card statement at the time so they added interest and a late payment fee but looking back over my statement now with a clearer mind (wondering about these payment reversals) ive noticed that they took a directed debit payment then the following day did a payemnt reversal on this and added a late fee and interest. I dont believe I should of had a late fee since there was a direct debit set up in place, not sure why Tesco are reversing my direct debit payments then charging me a late fee and obviously it probably effects your credit score. Is it too late to sort this being last April/May 2020?

Also dont want to it to keep happening now im using the card a bit more

Can anyone help?
  • 6 Replies

• Verified Answer

Your Community Expert
    Verified Answer
    Hi @vix2281, just wanted to check in to see if you were able to get this all resolved over PM. How did you get on? I'd also like to provide a little more information around payment reversals in general. Hopefully this will be helpful!

There are a few different scenarios in which a direct debit payment may be returned on your credit card account. The direct debit will show as outgoing, and then will show as coming back into your account with the description 'payment reversal.' Usually if a payment is reversed, the reversal will show almost immediately but sometimes it can take a few days for the payment to bounce back. You may see this on your statement, on your online banking, or on the mobile banking app.

Some of the most common scenarios are:

1. If we attempt to collect the direct debit from your current account and there are insufficient funds available, then the payment will be returned. This will show as a payment reversal on your account, and there would be an attached return payment fee.

2. Sometimes, where you've previously paid using a direct debit this can fall dormant following a period of inactivity on your account (typically a period of around 6 months or more). In this scenario, your payment will show as being reversed but no return payment fee would be applied. If a payment is missed/late as a result of a dormant direct debit, then all the associated fees and charges should be refunded.

If you suspect a direct debit has fallen dormant on your account (i.e. it hasn't been collected successfully after a long period of inactivity) then we would also recommend cancelling the direct debit with your paying bank, then after 1 working day you’d be able to re-instate the direct debit again. This would ensure it is no longer dormant and will be collected successfully going forward.

I hope this bring a bit of clarification surrounding payment reversals, and please let me know if you have any other questions :)
    Community superstar
    Hi @vix2281

That sounds quite a lot of information there.

I would suggest you send Tesco Bank a private message so they can look into this for you.
    To do this click on this link: https://community.tescobank.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=447614
    Please include your full name, date of birth and postcode.
    Complete it, click 'Submit Message' and this will send your message securely and privately.

You will receive a reply to your private message, with the appropriate response.

Warm wishes, Caz @25H
    Your Community Expert
    Hi @vix2281, I'm sorry to hear this. As advised above, please send us a private message @Tesco-Bank and we will look into this further.
    @25H thanks again for your help!
    Fresh Eyes
    Thank you! I have used the link and resent the message to Tesco, Im not sure whats going on

Vicki
    Community superstar
    Morning Vicki @vix2281

That's great that you've sent your message.
    I'm sure someone at Tesco Bank will reply to your private message when they've checked this out for you.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Warm wishes, Caz @25H
    Fresh Eyes
    @KellyT Thanks for this, Tesco replied I need to get in touch via phone but Ive been away so will try this week. Makes sense what you are saying I guess, I figured since the direct debit was set up and have not changed my main bank that it would still all go through as a direct debit