Tesco Bank Mastercard - SICMCC Code

Just looking
    Downloaded csv and tsv files contain a “SICMCC Code”. Although many of these codes maybe common across credit card providers some appear to be provider specific. Is there a document that gives the codes and descriptions used by Tesco/World Mastercard?
  • 5 Replies

• Verified Answer

Your Community Expert
    Verified Answer
    Hi @AndrewJH, thanks for getting in touch. When a transaction is made, the retailer assigns a Merchant Category Code (MCC). This is a four digit sequence that confirms the type of transaction made, which is passed to us by the retailer. There isn't a Tesco Bank document containing a description of each MCC, but you would be able to find a description by searching the MCC online.
    Just looking
    Thank you for your reply. I think it would work well for the codes assigned by type but what about those assigned by name. In this case to avoid conflicts would the codes not have to be agreed by the credit card provider? This would appear to be indorsed by the extract from Wikipedia below.

Assignment of MCCs
    MCCs are assigned either by merchant type (e.g., one for hotels, one for office supply stores, etc.) or by merchant name (e.g., 3000 for United Airlines) and is assigned to a merchant by a credit card company when the business first starts accepting that card as a form of payment. The same business may code differently with different credit cards, and different sections or departments of a store may code differently.

Former Community Manager
    @AndrewJH So by my understanding the code is assigned by Mastercard. So all companies that use MasterCard would use the same :)
    Just looking
    Hi @RobbieT, Thank you for the update. There are many lists online. A spreadsheet at http://www.merchantadviceservice.co....S-MCC-LIST.xls was the most comprehensive found. Hopefully this reflects the codes submitted to you by retailers.
    Fresh Eyes
    Hi,
    having an issue where a hotel booking company have charged me 3 times for a reservation and they are saying I must provide them with the merchant name / reference in the following format (12345-123456789 or 12345-1000-123456789) for them to investigate. Would anyone be able to advise where I find this ? Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,
    having an issue where a hotel booking company have charged me 3 times for a reservation and they are saying I must provide them with the merchant name / reference in the following format (12345-123456789 or 12345-1000-123456789) for them to investigate. Would anyone be able to advise where I find this ? Thank you.