Change Address

Just looking
    I am an existing Tesco Bank customer (loan) who moved to the USA over 4 years ago.

I have been "happily" paying the loan from my UK account in that period of time, honouring the debts I accrued before leaving.

I am trying to set-up Online access, as it has come to my attention that my address for correspondence did not get updated before I left (I can see my old address on a UK credit file website). I cannot set-up online access because the Mobile Number is out of date, and the address is out of date. Some poor soul who now owns that house will likely just chuck the letter in the bin with the security code.

I cannot dial International, my Skype account does not allow international calling and viber also seemed to have the same problem.

All I want to do is get either online access sorted, or change the address so that any correspondence will at least go to an address where I can access it.

Messenger approach doesn't work because you won't discuss the account. Getting a little irritated now - if I stopped paying, I doubt Tesco would worry to much about where they got contact details for me from!
  • 9 Replies

Community superstar
    Hi @robtuckATL

I'm really sorry to hear of the difficulties you're experiencing.

The best solution is to send Tesco Bank a private message and ask them to look into this for you.

Click on this link Tesco-Bank then scroll down, on the left hand side click 'Send Private Message'.
    Complete it, click 'Submit Message' and this will send your message securely and privately.
    Please include your full name, date of birth and postcode along with your account details.

You will receive a reply to your private message, with the appropriate response.
    Hope this helps!!

Warm wishes, Caz @25H
    Your Community Expert
    Hi @robtuckATL, I'm sorry to hear this. Please send us a private message to @Tesco-Bank and we will check this for you. I hope this helps!
    Just looking
    Not really, about as much use as a chocolate Tea pot.

Company policy over sensible approach to personal and information security.

It does make me laugh in the modern age that companies make personal choices, like not wanting to engage in e-mail as a channel of customer contact, but then would rather stand by that than accept information from a customer that would ensure an account remained well maintained and rather risk the costs of going through a debt collection agency in the event the worse were to happen.

Working in the industry, I am well aware that companies have to make strategic decisions over channel management - in this instance, while the available channels are probably more than sufficient for 99.99% of queries and situations that arise, it makes no sense not to take information readily provided by a person who can provide more than enough information to satisfy any concerns or risks over personal & financial information security.

Unless of course the company has literally got no way of sending e-mails or communicating with each other every day at work without a landline? I doubt it.
    Just looking
    So, the response via PM was eventually, after a bit of back and forth, to lodge a complaint. Great work - that is now Messenger contacts, Forum contacts, Private Message Contacts and now an online complaint form to handle. I'm not suggesting that Tesco suddenly just change all their policies and open up any old communication channel I personally decide is appropriate, but sometimes you'd just hope that people would be given the latitude in their employment to make sensible decisions - in this case, multiple contacts = multiple costs accrued by the business. Maybe not a number that will make any Executive pay attention on it's own (I have no delusions of grandeur) but now imagine this same approach pervades through multiple other harmless contacts every day.
    Your Community Expert
    Thanks for sharing this with us @robtuckATL. I'm really sorry for any inconvenience caused. I'll pass on all your comments as customer feedback today concerning our contact channels and processes.
    Just looking
    Haha, you are making me laugh now. The reality of the situation is that the worst case scenario for Tesco here is them not getting payment. For me, a bad credit score and debt collectors in the UK doesn't do much to me and causes Tesco more financial burden.

After being told to file a complaint, I received an automated message telling me there is a response. To access the response all I have to do is enter a code that was sent to my UK mobile number - I know it's serious and not a joke, but this is stupid. I live in the USA, so the only mobile number i have is a USA one, which couldn't be entered. Next is says if that doesn't work to phone them on an 0345 number - which cannot be dialed from abroad! Even if it could, that was one of my issues - plus, a nice little Covid update goes on to tell me they are experiencing high call volumes (I have no doubt) and to expect long waits. If I could have dialed, I'm hardly going to do that now at international rates.

For the love of all that is human, someone just give me an employees Tesco e-mail address, we can become friends and catch-up on WhatsApp if it helps.
    Last edited by robtuckATL; 22-04-21 at 15:20.
    Your Community Expert
    I'm sorry that we've not been able to get this updated for you, @robtuckATL. Unfortunately, the only way you can update your address and phone number is via online banking, over the phone or by submitting your request in writing. This is the same for all customers, so I'm sorry again that we're not been able to arrange an alternative method for you. @KellyT has fed back your comments surrounding our contact channels and processes for updating your contact information. This feedback is regularly reviewed.
    Just looking
    Someone explain to me how a letter is any more secure than an e-mail, given in both channels personal information can be verified to ensure reasonable steps have been taken to adhere to regulatory requirements? You do not have my signature on file, so anyone could write a letter and sign it and you'd happily change the address as a result? How is a phone call any more secure than an e-mail if the same personal information is verified? The critical wording you use is "the only way you can", when in fact you mean "the only way we choose for you to". I have given you my contact details in various secure methods, if you choose not to do anything with that information, that is up to you, the risk is ALL on your side. I completely understand the business makes commercial decisions over which channels to operate through, and it likely fits for 99.99% of your queries and I don't imagine you have many customers in my situation so it's not really a problem for Tesco Bank. I just think you are cutting your nose off to spite your face in this specific instance. Your choice.
    Your Community Expert
    Hi @robtuckATL, I apologise once again for any inconvenience this may be causing you. I'm afraid that we do not consider email to be a secure enough method of contact for personal details etc. When our complaints team gets back to you, however, you can ask them to communicate further with you via email to give you updates on your complaint. As my colleagues have said, we have fed back your comments on our contact methods which will be reviewed.