Music Festivals and Gigs

Your Community Expert
    With the vaccination programme in the UK going well and an end (hopefully) to lockdown finally in sight, I’ve been thinking a lot about getting back to doing some of my favourite things to make up for lost time.

The thing I’ve definitely been looking forward to most is getting back to all the music festivals and gigs that have been cancelled or postponed for more than a year now. I have missed that feeling of being a tiny part of a massive crowd all singing as one so much during these difficult last 12 months.

For me, I love nothing more than a big, weekend-long festival with acts and fans from all around the world performing for 10 hours a day. Here’s Arctic Monkeys performing at Glasgow’s TRNSMT Festival in July 2018. I’m in that crowd somewhere, but it’s probably a good thing that it’s too dark and I’m too far back for you to see me!

I’m interested to hear from everyone about some memorable gigs, concerts or festivals you have been to in the past, or which acts and venues you look forward to seeing once we’re all allowed to come together (Beatles pun not intended) again. Let me know in the comments below.
  • 5 Replies

Good morning Joe,

A few years ago I went to HMV in Birmingham and saw Beverley Knight perform a small gig to promote the launch of her then-new album.

https://youtu.be/g6V94qcQoLI

Unfortunately I can be spotted somewhere in this video...! 🤣
    Your Community Expert
    Thanks for sharing that, @heanor_man_34! Intimate gigs like that are great and I fear that they might become less and less of a common feature with the decline of record shops around the country, but I'm hopeful that that the new-normal will lead to these types of performances becoming more popular, even if it is by necessity for safety reasons!
    Former Community Manager
    I had tickets for a festival in Leeds at the end of May but this was delayed to June 2022. I can't wait to be dancing round a field with a plastic cup in hand and the inevitable wait for the portaloos. All adds to the experience!!
    Your Community Expert
    I'm going to the Leeds festival in August. Can't wait. Also going to see an interpretation of Boards of Canada's 'Music Has the Right to Children' in Oran Mor in November. Properly buzzing for that :D
    I had tickets for a festival in Leeds at the end of May but this was delayed to June 2022. I can't wait to be dancing round a field with a plastic cup in hand and the inevitable wait for the portaloos. All adds to the experience!!

Just a thought @RossM-if the worst happens and it's postponed for a wee while longer I guess you could always emulate the experience by finding a neighbour with a large garden, grab some plastic cups from the Non-Food section at your local Tesco and hope they live with someone who's notorious for spending a long time in the bathroom? 🤣