Fitness during lockdown

Your Community Expert
    I've noticed some discussion around fitness and thought I’d share some of my tips! Since the first lockdown, I’ve found a passion for fitness. Although home work outs aren’t ideal for some, I couldn’t think of anything better than not having to visit a gym! Does anyone else agree?

It was really important I made a new routine, being at home all day was going to be such a change. I started to incorporate a 45min – 1 hour work out into each day (well normally 5 days). I never thought I’d stick to it, but thought ‘really what is 45 mins out of my day?!’ The flexibility I get from working from home is great, I tend to do my workout on my lunch break!

I also aim for 10K steps a day. Sometimes this isn’t achievable with the UK weather, but I’ve discovered YouTube videos that do step workouts. So you can easily get your steps in whist in the comfort of your own home. I really don’t have any excuses now!

I honestly think having this to focus on each day has helped me through this past year! Does anyone else have any tips they’d like to share? I wonder if lockdown and working from home pushed anyone else to get more into fitness?
  • 8 Replies

Community Manager
    Hey @ChristinaG - I've always been into my fitness and struggled last year trying to get into a routine whilst being at home. Having always gone out to the gym @ 5.30am, when everywhere was shut it was a massive adjustment for me. Then having the kids at home all the time was a massive distraction as I never got the peace I needed to workout.

I can honestly say its only in the last 4 weeks I've got my motivation and rhythm back - I had a serious chat with myself and I think as we are coming out of lockdown soon, this has given me the kick I need.

My daily target is now 15-20k steps a day, 3/4 runs a week and a couple of outdoor PTs or HIIT classes a week. I feel so much better now I am back into a routine and back to being active. I actually have more energy and feel much more positive mentally.

The weather change has certainly helped the steps, I make sure I have a morning walk and then aim to go back out in the afternoon. I also found that a little competition helps and motivates me, whether it be with a friend or an organised event at work, I love a step challenge! If anyone has the option of dialing into meetings and walking at the same time, I would encourage you to try this.

I know some people are nervous about going back to gyms, I cannot wait and will be back as soon as I can!
    Your Community Expert
    The gym at 5.30am?! That is some motivation @sarah_d! It sounds like you've managed to get back into a great routine now, well done! I agree, my mood totally changes and I feel so much more positive after a workout. I'm so glad I've had that to focus on recently!

Oh I totally forgot you can do Fitbit step challenges, I'll definitely need to do that. I'm very competitive, so I think that would be great to push me even further!

Thank you for your tips Sarah! Hopefully it won't be long until you can get back to the gym :)
    I know the weather isn't always ideal, especially at this time of year, but I think one tip I'd happily share is walking.

I've only ever been to an 'open day' at a gym (admittedly a long time ago now) and I felt it wasn't for me but I do enjoy walking.

I guess it depends on where you live but if you're lucky enough to live near an open space, on a nice day, it can be very enjoyable.
    Community superstar
    Have to agree with @heanor_man_34!!

I too have had the odd gym day and thought it's not something I can keep going with.
    On the other hand walking is the way for me too which I do frequently.
    The most important thing is to find something you enjoy
    😁
    Community Manager
    @25H @heanor_man_34, I agree with you both about walking.

I love it and always try to get my steps in. I live in the north east of England so I'm very lucky to have beautiful coastlines and countryside near me.
    @ChristinaG my fitbit died on me a couple of weeks ago so I treat myself to an apple watch. Hated it at first but now that I'm used to it, I much prefer it! I have challenges with friends and its generally much more accurate I think. What do you have?
    Your Community Expert
    Oh it sounds like you all have some lovely walks nearby, @sarah_d, @25H and @heanor_man_34! I do have a few nice places here too and this year I'm aiming to do a lot more hill walking. Luckily we have many beautiful hills up here in Scotland to tick off the list!

I have the Fitbit Versa 2 @sarah_d, I only upgraded last year but I really want an apple watch now! I've heard loads of people saying the same, the apple watch seems to be more accurate. I might upgrade again this summer as a treat!
    I've had an Apple Watch in the past but never a Fitbit but it came in handy when going for a long walk. They have monthly goals which can be fun to tackle.

If you do decide to treat yourself this Summer @ChristinaG don't forget to use our Colleague Room Deals and Discounts as we get a saving on Apple products 😁
    Your Community Expert
    Oh thank you @heanor_man_34, totally forgot about the discounts we can get! Will definitely keep my eye out :)
    Last edited by ChristinaG; 19-03-21 at 12:54.