Being asked very personal and strange questions by Tesco Car Insurance

Just looking
    I Took out a second car insurance policy with Tesco after buying another car few weeks ago, had the other one for 4 months.

Today I received an email at 17:10 simply addressed Hello, saying they have wrote to me previously asking for this information as a result I only have until 25/12 to provide this or they will cancel the policy. (Haven’t received anything from them)

First they want to see a full payslip issued in last 3 months.

Second is they want a DVLA license check code.

I phoned them up, but all I got told is they can see further information was requested. They don’t know what and I cannot contact the team. When I asked why specifically a pay slip they just said that’s what they must need.

I am a Civil servant and we are told not to give out our work information unless really necessary and work can provide a letter from HR in that instance. Payslip would show a lot of information I don’t want to share with my insurer.

Secondly I thought Car insurance companies have access to DVLA records. I just checked my records and everything matches what I gave them.

These are two quite specific requests, has anyone else had anything similar, especially since I already got a policy with them.

Problem is I don’t want my car insurance cancelled just before Christmas, but I also don’t want to just give out my info randomly.
  • 6 Replies

Community superstar
    Hi @Koddsky
    DO NOT respond to this, IT IS a scam!!
    Why would Tesco Insurance want a payslip?? As you say this offers a lot of information.
    I would suggest you call the Car Insurance team on 0345 246 2895 (Mon-Fri 8am – 8pm, Sat & Sun 9am – 2pm)
    Alternatively send Tesco Bank a private message so they can take a closer look at this for you.
    Click on this link Tesco-Bank then scroll down, on the left hand side click 'Send Private Message'.
    Complete it, click 'Submit Message', send your message securely and privately.
    Please include your full name, date of birth and postcode.
    You will receive a reply to your private message.
    Hope this helps!!
    Have a lovely weekend, Caz @25H

Just looking
    I thought it’s also a scam as email has no phone number or anything just a link to the portal.

but when I do phone, the customer service are acknowledging they have requested info, but don’t know what info.

my issue is any car insurance company would have access to DVLA records instead of asking for a code that can only be accessed by a single person in whole of Tesco.

As well as very sensitive information like my department or the organisation I work plus salary etc.
    Community superstar
    Hi @Kiddsky

How do you know you're talking to Tesco Insurance when you ring them? Is it the car insurance telephone number?
    They're asking for information but you don't know what information, can't they tell you when you ring?
    Then they're asking for your department and salary details, that's gotta ring alarm bells as why would they ask you for this information.
    I totally agree that they would have access to your records in respect to your previous driving through DVLA.
    By sending a private message through this community it is private/confidential and maybe they can shed some light on this for you to put your mind at rest. Please do not post on here but follow my instructions in my previous reply to send a private message.
    Warm wishes, Caz @25H
    Above and beyond
    Hi @Kiddsky this is serious !

Please DO NOT RESPOND to this email, it is a phishing SCAM !

Tesco Bank never requests the disclosure of sensitive data in this way.

Please block the sender, and run a full scan on your computer.

Regards, Chris, @CSKBrambles
    Your Community Expert
    Hi @Kiddsky, sorry to hear about this. Can you please send us over a private message to @Tesco-Bank? We'll then be able to take a closer look.
    Community superstar
    Hi @Kiddsky

I see KellyT has offered to look into this for you, simply send a 'Private Message' to Tesco Bank as per my instructions in a previous reply.
    Have a lovely weekend and stay safe, Caz @25H