• Lapsed MOT - how to get my car to the test centre...

Hi Everyone,

I have been searching but not found a direct reply. My car's been off-road at home during lockdown 2 and I realised that the MOT has lapsed. The car itself is old but in good repair.

Would Tesco's car insurance cover the car on its journey from home to the MOT test centre? It's only a few miles but I don't want to drive the car if it isn't insured for obvious reasons.

If Tesco's insurance doesn't cover me, does anyone have a suggestion for where to get cover for the journey?

Thanks and stay safe!

​​​​​​​Mark
  • Hi Everyone,

I have been searching but not found a direct reply. My car's been off-road at home during lockdown 2 and I realised that the MOT has lapsed. The car itself is old but in good repair.

Would Tesco's car insurance cover the car on its journey from home to the MOT test centre? It's only a few miles but I don't want to drive the car if it isn't insured for obvious reasons.

If Tesco's insurance doesn't cover me, does anyone have a suggestion for where to get cover for the journey?

Thanks and stay safe!

​​​​​​​Mark
  • Hi @MarkC
    Of course you need to get your car MOT'd.
    The law states you are legally allowed to drive ONLY DIRECTLY from home to the MOT garage to have an MOT if you're MOT has expired.
    I suggest you telephone Tesco on 0345 246 2895 for further clarification.
    Stay safe and have a lovely weekend.
    Caz @25H
  • Hi @MarkC
    Of course you need to get your car MOT'd.
    The law states you are legally allowed to drive ONLY DIRECTLY from home to the MOT garage to have an MOT if you're MOT has expired.
    I suggest you telephone Tesco on 0345 246 2895 for further clarification.
    Stay safe and have a lovely weekend.
    Caz @25H
  • Hi @25H thanks for your response! @MarkC you will need to give our team a call to get confirmation of this, you can reach our Car Insurance team on 0345 246 2895 (Mon - Fri: 8am - 8pm, Sat - Sun: 9am - 2pm).
  • Hi @25H thanks for your response! @MarkC you will need to give our team a call to get confirmation of this, you can reach our Car Insurance team on 0345 246 2895 (Mon - Fri: 8am - 8pm, Sat - Sun: 9am - 2pm).
  • Hi @TrinhO and @25H ,

Thank you both for your replies. The next journey for the car is going to be straight to the garage for its MOT (Tuesday, booked in already).

I'll give the insurance team a call tomorrow or Monday to confirm the insurance position.

Have a great evening!

Mark
  • Hi @TrinhO and @25H ,

Thank you both for your replies. The next journey for the car is going to be straight to the garage for its MOT (Tuesday, booked in already).

I'll give the insurance team a call tomorrow or Monday to confirm the insurance position.

Have a great evening!

Mark
  • Hi @MarkC
    Hope you're passes on Tuesday 😀
    Have a lovely weekend, Caz @25H
  • Hi @MarkC
    Hope you're passes on Tuesday 😀
    Have a lovely weekend, Caz @25H
  • Hi @MarkC

Please don’t worry, as long as you drive directly to the MOT centre, you are acting within the law.

Kindest regards , @CSKBrambles
  • Hi @MarkC

Please don’t worry, as long as you drive directly to the MOT centre, you are acting within the law.

Kindest regards , @CSKBrambles
  • Hi @CSKBrambles ,

Thanks for the reassurance. I had also found that the law said that I could drive a 'roadworthy' car to the garage for an MOT without breaking the law. My concern was about the insurance as I had found language in the Tesco policy booklet saying the policy was invalid if the car didn't have a valid MOT. See exclusion h on page 28 of:

https://www.tescobank.com/assets/tes...oklet-0813.pdf

So I did speak to the customer services team on 0345 246 2895, as 25H and TrinhO suggested, and the very nice rep checked with the underwriters and confirmed that I would be covered by the policy on the drive from home to the garage for a pre-booked MOT, but nothing else.

So it is fingers crossed the garage doesn't turn up anything expensive tomorrow! My little '04 runabout is starting to show a bit of wear and tear but it still runs very nicely with 70K miles on the clock. I'm hoping it lasts long enough that full-electric cars have come down in price enough to be affordable for the relatively low mileage I do.

All the best,

Mark
  • Hi @CSKBrambles ,

Thanks for the reassurance. I had also found that the law said that I could drive a 'roadworthy' car to the garage for an MOT without breaking the law. My concern was about the insurance as I had found language in the Tesco policy booklet saying the policy was invalid if the car didn't have a valid MOT. See exclusion h on page 28 of:

https://www.tescobank.com/assets/tes...oklet-0813.pdf

So I did speak to the customer services team on 0345 246 2895, as 25H and TrinhO suggested, and the very nice rep checked with the underwriters and confirmed that I would be covered by the policy on the drive from home to the garage for a pre-booked MOT, but nothing else.

So it is fingers crossed the garage doesn't turn up anything expensive tomorrow! My little '04 runabout is starting to show a bit of wear and tear but it still runs very nicely with 70K miles on the clock. I'm hoping it lasts long enough that full-electric cars have come down in price enough to be affordable for the relatively low mileage I do.

All the best,

Mark
  • Hi @MarkC
    I'm really pleased the Customer Service Team were able to clarify this for you.
    Finger's crossed for tomorrow.
    Warm wishes, Caz @25H
  • Hi @MarkC
    I'm really pleased the Customer Service Team were able to clarify this for you.
    Finger's crossed for tomorrow.
    Warm wishes, Caz @25H
© 2020 Tescobank.com All rights reserved
Sitemap