export transactions to spreadsheet - failing

On the look out
    I'm trying to export transactions from my online Statements into a spreadsheet program on my desktop. Until recently (September/October 2020), I was able to do this.
    Something has changed. Now, when I export transactions as a .CSV file, there are extra fields (not a problem) but the VALUE column is shown as a TEXT field, complete with the £ currency symbol. Because of a 'polarity' issue, I need to be able to convert positive to negative values (and vice versa). This is not possible with the text value.

Can this be corrected? Or can someone tell me how I can massage the text value into a numeric value, ready to reverse the sign of the value.

This is not some esoteric request. It goes to the heart of being able to export transactions to a spreadsheet (and from there into my accounting package).

Thank you for any help you can give.

David
  • 8 Replies

• Verified Answer

On the look out
    Verified Answer
    Hi @sw1mb0ytesc0
    I see ChristinaG has replied to your message and has offered to assist you to resolve the issue.
    Please send Tesco bank a private message so they can take a closer look.
    Click on this link Tesco-Bank then scroll down, on the left hand side click 'Send Private Message'. Complete it and send your message securey and privately. Please include your full name, date of birth and postcode. You will receive a reply to your private message.

Warm wishes, Caz @25H

I've sent the substance of my problem as you suggested. The interface was a bit 'clunky' so I'm not too confident that anything will transpire.

Mr
    I've been asked to send this by someone in the Tesco Community forum. *** PERSONAL DETAILS REMOVED ***
    Submitted with the title export transactions to spreadsheet - failing

I'm trying to export transactions from my online Statements into a spreadsheet program on my desktop. Until recently (September/October 2020), I was able to do this.
    Something has changed. Now, when I export transactions as a .CSV file, there are extra fields (not a problem) but the VALUE column is shown as a TEXT field, complete with the £ currency symbol. Because of a 'polarity' issue, I need to be able to convert positive to negative values (and vice versa). This is not possible with the text value.

Can this be corrected? Or can someone tell me how I can massage the text value into a numeric value, ready to reverse the sign of the value.

This is not some esoteric request. It goes to the heart of being able to export transactions to a spreadsheet (and from there into my accounting package).

Thank you for any help you can give.

David Batten

I am happy to attach the downloaded file, (but I can't see how to do this here).
    Your Community Expert
    Hi @sw1mb0ytesc0, I'm sorry to hear this! We haven't changed or updated our systems on this, so its strange that this has changed for you. I'm not sure we will be able to sort this on our end, but we will do our best to do some troubleshooting to resolve this issue. Please send us a private message to @Tesco-Bank so we can take a closer look.
    Community superstar
    Hi @sw1mb0ytesc0
    I see ChristinaG has replied to your message and has offered to assist you to resolve the issue.
    Please send Tesco bank a private message so they can take a closer look.
    Click on this link Tesco-Bank then scroll down, on the left hand side click 'Send Private Message'. Complete it and send your message securey and privately. Please include your full name, date of birth and postcode. You will receive a reply to your private message.

Warm wishes, Caz @25H
    Your Community Expert
    Can you please send over a private message so we can discuss this in more detail, @sw1mb0ytesc0? I can see @25H has given the steps on how to do this, so please follow those and we will do our best to help.
    On the look out
    from the OP: I'm sorry to break back in, but I have just taken the precaution of reproducing the problem.

There is an additional issue. In my recollection, the "Amount" was a number, not a text field containing the £ sign.
    AND
    The amount was a signed number (+ or -). But now all the numbers are positive (£+) and there is a separate field in the download with a D or C to indicate if the number is a credit or Debit. This is totally unusable without excessive manual editing of the downloaded file.

Can I be the only one seeing this?

I have attached a screenshot which shows the layout of the exported file.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Above and beyond
    Hi David, @sw1mb0ytesc0

This is not something that I am experienced with , but the attached link may offer you a pathway to the solution.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/create-or-edit-csv-files-to-import-into-outlook-4518d70d-8fe9-46ad-94fa-1494247193c7

Hope this helps,

Regards, Chris, @CSKBrambles
    On the look out
    Sadly I seem to be going in circles on this. It was suggested I post the problem elsewhere, but the instructions confused me and I do not know if I was successful.

I would just like someone in 'Support' to go through the process of exporting transactions to a .csv file and see if they see the following:
    1. The amount field is a text field with a £-sign and always portrays a positive number (in text form)
    2. The polarity of the number is indicated by a separate field (a D or a C for Debit and Credit.

I am sure that in the past I was able to download transactions as true, signed numbers (ie not text) although I had issues with the polarity of the values.

Despite some assertions above, SOMETHING HAS CHANGED. (Pardon my emphasis - not intending to shout)

Please, somebody, just try it, and let me know if your experience matches mine.

Thanks, David (OP)
    Your Community Expert
    Hi @sw1mb0ytesc0, I'm really sorry about this. So we can try help at our end, could you please send a private message to @Tesco-Bank?