Usual apalling service-section 75

Eagle eye
    As promised 6 weeks ago, here is an update to my current claim.

Firstly, I was in the unfortunate position of having to make a section 75 claim with Tesco Bank earlier this year. As anybody who has followed my posts from that time will know, it took 15 weeks, several official complaints, threats of the Financial Ombudsman and not one but two payments of compensation from Tesco Bank before it was resolved.

Back to present day: Tesco Bank are still advising via their voicemail that due to COVID and the high number of calls, claims are taking UP TO 6 weeks.
    This is COMPLETELY FALSE and a ploy designed by Tesco Corporate from the outset to fob customers off to delay meeting their financial obligations for as long as possible.
    Hence, when I made this (my second) claim I diarised it from the start, fully anticipating the same obstructions and disregard of customers from Tesco Bank as before.

I was not wrong.

Yesterday the six weeks were up so I telephoned Tesco Bank today and listened to the automated voice message that STILL states that claims are taking up to six weeks. I spoke with a very professional and sympathetic member of staff (James) who as in all previous telephone calls with various members of staff regarding my previous claim, stated that he could offer no information and would ‘escalate it’.

YEAH, YEAH, YEAH! How many times have we all heard that one?

With all due respect to James, he was as helpful and sympathetic as he could be (with his hands tied behind his back by Tesco Corporate) and I have no complaint against him personally. However, this is exactly what I expected and consequently, I raised an official complaint with him against Tesco because of the fact that Tesco are blatantly fobbing customers off with their false assurances to meet their own agenda.

I made it very clear, that now I had made my official complaint, I would follow my own set procedure and contact the Financial Ombudsman as the next step at the appropriate date (unless of course, the matter was resolved by Tesco Bank before the due date).
    I have absolutely no intention of giving Tesco a single extra days grace at any time, because as advised above, every assurance that the customer service operatives give you (which I believe may be in good faith on the individuals part) are completely false.

Tesco are delaying meeting their financial obligations using every tactic that they can, at the expense of their frontline staff getting all the grief from the customers. To repeat a previous post; Tesco are behaving disgracefully because they are primarily a supermarket, not a proper bank, unlike others that ONLY deal in banking and are meeting section 75 claims in anything from 7 working days.

How long has Tesco Bank had to address these matters and allocate the appropriate resources?
    Oh yeah, EIGHT MONTHS!

I will update this post of any developments but DON’T hold your breath!
  • 10 Replies

Your Community Expert
    Hi @Purrfecttune, I'm really sorry about this. I'm glad you were able to speak with a member of our team on the phone today and I hope you get this resolved as quickly as possible. In regards to the automated service, I'll get this fed back to the appropriate team - Keigan
    Above and beyond
    Hi @Purrfecttune

Thanks for the update, i'm sorry it's not better news but at least you know that your claim is in the queue.

6 weeks was always going to be ambitious, especially compared to your previous claim.

I sincerely hope that your next update has a more positive outlook !

Kindest regards, and best wishes.

Chris, @CSKBrambles
    Community superstar
    Hi @Purrfecttune
    I'm really sorry to hear your claim is still in the queue and has not been resolved.
    6 weeks was the given time to get claims resolved however I don't think any of us or Tesco Bank could've possibly envisaged the vast number of claims that were made or that new claims were still going to be made 8 months on!!
    It was lovely that you were able to speak to a Tesco Bank staff member and I really hope your claim is resolved soon.
    Take care and stay safe, Caz @25H
    Eagle eye
    A piece of positive news!!!! 😀😀

I had a section 75 fully resolved within 20 working days. 🥂🥂

However, it was with a PROPER bank, not Tesco - (Halifax).

🤙🤙🤙 To Halifax Bank
    Eagle eye
    Update as promised:

I had a call today from Andrew at Tesco Bank today apologising for my claim taking slightly longer than six weeks. He added that it was now resolved in full and that it would appear in my account within 10 working days and by way of compensation, an additional payment of £25 would be paid.

He said that Tesco had taken on board all feedback from both this issue and my previous claim and that they were getting very close to resolving all claims within the six week time period that Tesco hopes for.

This is good news of course, and I have to admit to being impressed (especially when comparing to my previous experience) however, the cynic in me still wonders if I would have had the same satisfactory outcome without the steadfast determination that I followed utilising a fixed time line, official complaints and threat of the Financial Ombudsman.

Maybe, maybe not. But I hope for everyone that Tesco Bank is finally dealing with ALL of its customers now in the same expedient manner.
    Above and beyond
    Hi @Purrfecttune

It's great to see your postive news, including the bonus !.

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Best Wishes, Chris, @CSKBrambles
    Community superstar
    Hi @Purrfecttune

Thanks for the update.
    Pleased to hear you've got it resolved and with a bonus too!!!
    Warm wishes, Caz @25H
    Eagle eye
    Update as promised:

I had a call today from Andrew at Tesco Bank today apologising for my claim taking slightly longer than six weeks. He added that it was now resolved in full and that it would appear in my account within 10 working days and by way of compensation, an additional payment of £25 would be paid.

He said that Tesco had taken on board all feedback from both this issue and my previous claim and that they were getting very close to resolving all claims within the six week time period that Tesco hopes for.

This is good news of course, and I have to admit to being impressed (especially when comparing to my previous experience) however, the cynic in me still wonders if I would have had the same satisfactory outcome without the steadfast determination that I followed utilising a fixed time line, official complaints and threat of the Financial Ombudsman.

Maybe, maybe not. But I hope for everyone that Tesco Bank is finally dealing with ALL of its customers now in the same expedient manner.
    They are a complete joke , with no customer care
    I had similar situation to you ... Put a claim in and heard nothing after 6 weeks , so followed up to be told its now been escalated to the Dispute Team and will hear with in 14 days , still no response.So followed up again to be told its been escalated to the Dispute Team and would take another 21 days..I thought it had already been escalated.
    Anyway just got and email today saying its been rejected and if i have any info or documentation to support my claim to go start a new claim and go through this whole process again.Surely they should be asking for supporting documentation before they close the case not after .
    Former Community Manager
    Hi @nyckuk, I'm sorry to hear that. If you would like us to take a look at this then send a private message to Tesco-Bank as suggested on your other post, and we will be happy to see what we can do to assist.