Online banking

Online banking

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Insurance

I am travelling to Europe and have a European Health Insurance Card (which used to be called E111). Do I still need travel insurance?

Yes. Although the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) entitles you to reduced cost, sometimes free, medical treatment when you're travelling in the European Economic Area (countries within the EU plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway), it may not always provide sufficient cover e.g. it will not cover the cost of repatriation.


It also does not provide for any other pitfalls you may encounter such as cancellation of your trip, travel delays, lost baggage etc.


If we agree to a claim for medical expenses which has been reduced because you use an EHIC card, we will not apply the excess.


To apply for an EHIC, visit or pick up an application form at your local Post Office.