"We have noticed a transaction was declined" SMS

I recently had an online transaction declined. I received a text from Tesco saying "We have noticed a transaction was declined". It asks me to reply with a "Y" or a "N". I reply "Y" and get a confirmation back. It's not clear whether the original transaction will be automatically confirmed now, or if I have to try the transation again. Can someone else clarify?

One other security issue --- Tesco say that all texts from them will have a unique identifier (that the user can choose) so that the user knows it's really from Tesco. This one doesn't seem to have that identifier added to it.
  • 1 Reply

Employee
    Hi @tomkerswill,

Apologies for the delayed response; when you receive this text the transaction will not go through - even if you respond with 'Y'. If you go ahead and try the transaction after this it should go through.
    Regarding your unique word/phrase used at the start of texts, this is not something we currently use on the fraud alert texts but I can appreciate that it might be helpful for customers to keep this consistent. I'll pass on your feedback regarding this.