Set up a Standing Order to pay Tesco Credit Card

I have attempted to set up a Standing Order to pay my Tesco credit card from Lloyds Bank, however your new sort code will not allow standing orders to be set up. I have spoken with Lloyds to see if it was a problem at their end and they said that apparently certain sort codes will not allow standing orders to be set up against them but the credit card companies usually have another sort code where you are able to set one up with. I then phoned yourselves asking for this information and was told I should look at the statement to get the sort code!! I explained I had the correct details and advised the situation 3 times but was told you dont have another sort code so I am unable to set one up. Really dissappointed with this as want to keep on top of my payments and don't feel I should have to go on every month to make the payments manually. (I don't want to do a Direct Debit as want to be able to amend the amount I pay if I manage to get overtime in at work!)
  • 13 Replies

Employee
    Hi @Jodie28, sorry to read about the problems you've had setting up a standing order. I'm afraid we only have one set of details that credit card customers can use: sort code 40 64 15 and account number 31310006 along with your full credit card number as a reference.

We updated these details a few months ago and made other UK banks aware of the changes. We've not heard of any issues with setting up standing orders with these details, as we'd never want to restrict your chosen payment method. It may be worth going back to Lloyds to discuss this with them.
    i wish you would listen to your customers, halifax lloyds and bos - it is imposible to set up a standing order using this sort code - it will not work, i have been paid compensation by halifax because i made a complaint about not been able to set up a standing order, they said they would look into the issue and that was months ago. whats even crazier about this is that faster payments work totaly fine using the new sort code - its standing orders that refuse to work, will you please looki into this because im sick and tired of the banks blaming tesco and you blaming the banks !!!
    Employee
    I'm sorry to read about your problems @leeroy2009. I've just spoken with our Payment team who organise the incoming and outgoing payments we receive, and they have said they're now aware of some issues banks have had with the sort code. Everything at our end is set up to accept transfers, as you've mentioned faster payments are fine, but the issue with standing orders seems to be effecting certain banks.

We're going to get in touch with these banks again to ask them to make sure the details are updated, but we can’t guarantee how long this will take, as it's then down to the other banks making the final changes.
    Hi I also cannot use these details to pay by standing order. When I have some extra money I would like to add to the payments by standing order. Please can you give me another sort code and account so I can set up a standing order.Thanks
    Former Community Manager
    Hi @Sandra26, I'm afraid that we don't have an alternative that you can use. Can I ask what seems to be the error when attempting to use these details and have you contacted your bank to try and set this up as they should work?
    Some Tesco customers seem to have reported this a while back - at least 8 months ago - and I am having this issue right now with Halifax so it comes down to this: nothing has been done about this issue. Has anyone from Tesco sat down with anyone from Halifax and tried to sort this out? Instead of, it's not our problem, it's their problem? Why are the customers being caught in the middle?
    Former Community Manager
    Hi @Avzen, we always want to make it as easy as possible for our customers to pay their Credit Card. I've passed your comments on to the appropriate team to see if there is anything further that we can do to try and resolve this as clearly this is something that is causing an obstruction for our customers trying to pay their cards. In the short term, we've confirmed that faster payments will work to make payments and this will only apply to standing orders.
    It still doesn't work with Halifax. wrote:
    I have attempted to set up a Standing Order to pay my Tesco credit card from Lloyds Bank, however your new sort code will not allow standing orders to be set up. I have spoken with Lloyds to see if it was a problem at their end and they said that apparently certain sort codes will not allow standing orders to be set up against them but the credit card companies usually have another sort code where you are able to set one up with. I then phoned yourselves asking for this information and was told I should look at the statement to get the sort code!! I explained I had the correct details and advised the situation 3 times but was told you dont have another sort code so I am unable to set one up. Really dissappointed with this as want to keep on top of my payments and don't feel I should have to go on every month to make the payments manually. (I don't want to do a Direct Debit as want to be able to amend the amount I pay if I manage to get overtime in at work!)
    Former Community Manager
    Hi , unfortunately it's a change require at Halifax's side to allow payments. I've talked to our payments team and they've confirmed that we’ve informed them of this issue. However, until they have made the change at their side I'm afraid we can't resolve the issue. In the short term can you please use the faster payment information above should you require to make a payment from your account?